A few progress pics on a bedroom suite

Jim Hager

Here are a few shots of a bedroom suite that I have going for my daughter and her hubby. They have just bought a house and needed furnishings so I am chipping in the best I can.

The nightstands and chest on chest of drawers are made of solid maple and maple ply 1/4" and 3/4". The design is roughly based from memory on a bedroom suite that Woodsmith put out a few years back. I built that one then and have lost the plans so I'm just sorta wingin it.

I've gotta have all this done before she and hubby come in to visit around the 20th of June. I had better get in gear.

Attachments

• Summer 07 017.jpg
    Summer 07 017.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 65
  • Summer 07 016.jpg
    Summer 07 016.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Summer 07 018.jpg
    Summer 07 018.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 70
I struggle with tight miters, Jim, so that second photo is pretty impressive to me! Everything goes together well.

Is the last photo a separate unit, or is it the base of the unit from the first photo?

It's going to look sweet when you wipe on that first bit of finish.

So, I guess you're not taking any breaks after you start your "retirement", eh?

I struggle with tight miters, Jim, so that second photo is pretty impressive to me! Everything goes together well.

Is the last photo a separate unit, or is it the base of the unit from the first photo?

It's going to look sweet when you wipe on that first bit of finish.

So, I guess you're not taking any breaks after you start your "retirement", eh?

The last pic is a separate unit, one of two nightstands. I did wipe on some stain this afternoon and it looks great. Reddish brown walnut stain from Lockwoods. It's a water based dye stain, very rich color. I haven't gotten the drawer fronts finished yet so they are not present in the pic. I should get them on some time in the morning.

Attachments

• Summer 07 021.jpg
    Summer 07 021.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 62
  • Summer 07 020.jpg
    Summer 07 020.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 37
Hi Jim,:wave:
Those pieces look real fine and love all those drawers. Your own plan seems quite good to me, from your pretty feet up to the molded deck top.:D No chance getting you to make the drawer fronts and just clear coating them is there?:rolleyes: The contrast has it's place,... are you thinking ..."somewhere else"?:rofl: :rofl:
Good job , nice gifts.:thumb:
Shaz

looks good jim, and how did you anchor the top to the carcass?

The tops are put on with screws through the faceframe and the strip I put across the back to stiffen the back plywood. I used pocket hole screws on the back of the ff and through holes in the strip at the back of the carcass. The tops are made of plywood banded with a 2" piece of solid stock t&g in place. If you are asking about the top chest to the bottom chest, I did it the same way but theneither bottom chest or the top are not a stand alone piece. They are permantely mounted together, with screws of course.