I'm bummed.

Jim O'Dell

Took off work about 45 minutes early today. Did the trash thing, fixed the weedeater, then went to the shop to work on the last 2 panels to have enough for one whole side, plus the master.Been at it for an hour or so, and I walk over to get something...Gee the floor looks wet. __ ___!! I've got another roof leak. Different spot, so my manhood is still intact.:thumb::rofl: It's close to the other valley, although it's coming from a little past there, and traveling down a seam in the plywood decking. Thank goodness it's not OSB!! It dripped on the base of the drill press, but somehow missed the motor, head and table!:huh::clap: I pulled 2 ceiling panels down, one 2' X 2', the other where the drip is, 2' X 8'. I left the fan blowing up toward the hole to try to help dry things out. Odd thing is the insulation was barely damp on that edge.
So now I get to do roofing in the summer time. :bang::bang: It almost killed me doing it when it was only 80!! This will be about 30% more than I did on the other side. I haven't held back any funds for this.
Sorry, but I had to cry on someone's shoulder. :) I know it will all work out, and everything will be fine. No need to reply. Jim.

Bummer. Things could be worse. I have a neighbor that had to do his last winter when his sprung major leaks. 10° (less with wind chill) and he had to keep himself tied off as most of the roof had ice on it. I dont envy your task either though.

Did anyone say that when it rains it pours? Just a little humor to brighten your day.

That is one of the worst, when water gets inside. That is especially true when you have tools and wood in there. At times like this is when it would be great if a lot of us lived close by and everyone could pitch in and it would be done in no time.

Jim, it happens, we all know that.

Be thankful, VERY thankful that it happened when you were at home and you caught it with little or no damage.

Imagine if you hade been out of town on summer vacation for a week or something and had a lot of rain.

yeah it sucks, but I think you got lucky in that it just needs fixing.

Good luck, play safe up on that roof, and where a wide brim hat! :thumb:

Be thankful, VERY thankful that it happened when you were at home and you caught it with little or no damage.
Ditto what Stu said - what a horror to come home days later and find more rust than water!:eek:

Doesn't it always happen that you just go out to the shop to do a few things only to find some other pressing matter that must be dealt with immediately?

Same - but less cataclysmic - situation happened to me yesterday - so I feel your pain. I went out to do a little clean-up and sanding and found a puddle on my workbench with a small puddle on the floor beneath. It turned out that the 1 gallon can (nearly 3/4 full) of sealcoat I had left on the bench had a pin hole in the side just above the bottom rim. I must have shoved something aside on the bench when I repaired my bike tire a day earlier that hit the can just right.

I wiped down the affected tools (non-power) with alcohol and them wiped down the top of the bench and floor. Oh well. On the bright side, I had been thinking of refinishing the bench this year. Now part of it is already done! :rofl:

I'll echo some other folks; blessing in disguise. It happened when you were there to intervene. Good luck, chin up and all that.

I hadn't gotten back to this to thank everyone for your virtual shoulders.:) The leak is not that bad. In fact, it's been raining off and on for 2 weeks now, and everytime I go out there, I look for water, Haven't seen any.... until tonight. We had over 2.5 inches of rain yesterday, some slow and easy, most of it in about 2 hours time late in the afternoon. It's also been doing a slow soaking type rain for the last 3 hours, and I found one big drip on the floor. Dripping from a different place, but along the same line, so I pulled 2 more ceiling panels down, and moved the BS, baby jointer and the RAS to the other side of the shop. I had thought that the DP and BS were saved from water last time, but I was wrong. Lots of rusty spots develped on the tables and base of the DP. Spent 3 hours a couple weeks ago with the (T-9?), Boeshield, and wax to clean them up. Nice and pretty again.
I was able to locate the entry point. It is on the plywood decking seam that I saw before, one side of the rafter is wet, other side is dry. Now it could still be coming from above that point, but that is where it's coming inside. It's not at the valley, so I may not do it, and just peel off the shingles that I feel I have to. If I see something I don't like while doing that, then I will go ahead and do that whole L section. I had said to myself that if it wasn't going to leak as wet as it's been, I wasn't going to worry about it until fall, and my not still. Oh well, life goes on. Thought briefly about just laying on a second layer of shingles, but I'm afraid that wouldn't take care of the problem, unless you put down felt before the second layer. Still not fond of that idea. Hope everyone is having a good week! It's half over. Jim, who was stupid and prayed for rain the other day.....

Hey no need to say thank you for our soft padded shoulders. I had to cry a bit last week after working my rear end off and realized I was still over budget on my new addition. I came on here, cried a bit, then felt a lot better. Sometimes its better to reach for friends then wallow in self-pity for weeks on end. Trust me, I know this the hard way.

Since that time however I talked to the bank and found out 5% over budget is pretty darn good. I also found out most projects these days go over budget. In the meantime I generated some more estimates for a construction loan and all those budgets were UNDER what I thought they would be. It looks like when I am done I will be 30,000 dollars below what a contractor quoted me for a turn-key addition.

The best news came last week however when my wife found out she thinks she is selling her house. Its been on the market for 3 years, and while it is coastal property, coastal property is just not selling. Still she found a buyer who is very interested, put a down payment down on the home, and said she will decide in less than 10 days. She also gave us our asking price so it looks like we won't need to get a construction loan...or any loan...for our addition after all.

Funny how things can look up after just a short period of time. I hope the same works out for you my friend. Best of luck.