Speaking of workbenches

Paul Downes

I'm finaly goin to try to become purfessional lookin and go build a workbench. I just got a bunch of rough sawn maple from a friend and was wondering about the moisture content of the wood. This is mostly hard maple from a couple of trees we cut down in his yard about 3 years ago and has been air dried since. I got to worring a bit about how dry my heated shop gets in the winter and wonder if I should try to get the wood down to 6-8% moisture before I build a bench whit it. What do you folks think?

has it been under cover for 3 yrs? if so and it`s less than 6/4 i`d set it in my shop for a month or so and get to cuttin`.........oh- i`ve never owned a moisture meter;)

has it been under cover for 3 yrs? if so and it`s less than 6/4 i`d set it in my shop for a month or so and get to cuttin`.........oh- i`ve never owned a moisture meter;)

Now, you tell me! ;) I was fixin' to come by with a big hunk of my own maple and have ye moisture test it for me. Oh, well. :rolleyes: It's all stacked and stickered in my garage. Door open when I'm here and fan blowing on it.

Weeheeal Larry, I did pass through yer neck 'o the wood the utter day and was just goin to fast to go sight-seein. I'm busy'er then heck with work -on second shift now- and am tryin to git the home ready for a grad-gee-ation. The wife wants a new bathroom and kitchen before next week!:huh: I think I'll just go fishin.