dovetails

Gerry Maul

Making a chest with hand dovetail corners, having a memory lapse! Viewing from the front, what should be predominent. the tails or the pins? To put it n
another way, should my half pins be on the front or the sides or does it matter?
Hope this makes sense.
Gerry

traditionally with drawers, the tails are visible from the side, not the front. From a physics standpoint, this is the strongest orientation for a dovetail given the pulling forces on the joint when a darwer is operated.

I would think on a chest you would would want the tails on the front and back, both from a functional and aesthetic point. Most chests are lifted by handles on the sides, which is where your stress points would be. I think you would also want to showcase the tails.

By the way, welcome to the forum!!!

Well, I'm going to offer a bit different opinion. I would make half blind dovetails so the joinery doesn't show from the front - only from the side. If you have some nice wood for the front, show off the character in the wood. The dovetails will distract people's attention from the wood to the joinery. And your dovetails on each side will still demonstrate your craftsmanship to those who know good construction.

Mike

What...you guys are crazy. :) If you are making a chest for your wife, daughter or daughter-in-law you got to use LOVETAILS and with that, you definitely want to see them straight on.

I bet you are totally confused now!! :)