Weekend Woodworking

Jeff Horton

Post your weekend woodworking projects and distractions here!

Mine is not a woodworking weekend unfortunately. REALLY tired of all this machine stuff and ready to make sawdust!! First project is the getting CreachTur out of the shop! I think I have it down to a stopped up carburetor. It soaking right now and HOPEFULLY it will run now.

weekend3.jpg weekend4.jpg

Assuming I get that done and while I am waiting on something on the tractor to dry, recharge, break, heal itself, whatever I will probably start on the Rotary Phase Converter. I think I have all the part now except the idler motor and a heater for the overload.

weekend1.jpg weekend2.jpg

So whatsup on your weekend? Hopefully some of you are actually doing some wood working. I know I having withdrawals and just tempted to grab a 2x and cut it into smaller pieces!!

Not a woodworking weekend here either....

Septic pump went out...:doh:which I really did not need to happen right now. So a bunch of other projects are on hold till I get this fixed. I went ahead and had the septic tanks pumped, since it's been 5 years since the last time it was done.

Decided to redo the pump system from the electrical source, through the piping to a new pump.

This project has triggered a new project...a complete survey/documentation of the electrical system in our house. I have a circuit to put in for a sump pump, some outside circuits, and maybe another 240V socket in the garage/shop.

Geez Greg, that sucks!

Man, that place is becoming a money pit, you should sell it quickly and move back to Japan ;) :D :thumb:

Good luck with it all, man, what a job!

yeah, Greg that does suck. You have a bunch of work done already in each if those photos and the weekend is just starting. Hope you are satisfied with progress when the day is done.:)
Just another plus when finished, I hope.:thumb:
Shaz

Little wwing except, Went to our new (OLD) houseboat on Tuesday, spent Wednesday building bunk beds in the two "state rooms" (thats wood working in the basic use of the word.... Plywood and 2X4s....

Then went fishing with my club on Saturday (did I mention that I won 1st place) with my son and had a great (hot) time...

Boy, and I thought *I* had a frustrating time! Had to change the planer knives the other day, and got rushed and messed up. Spent two hours futzing with the planer today. Finally got it back to close to good order, just as doorlink had to go sing and I had to quit to to watch James. She's back now, so I'm off to plane some maple. Don't have any more excuses to put off those doors... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

weeknd gone bad

well i was to get my crete in this wknd but mother nature changed the plans, so i am still in the starting gate waiting to be released:rolleyes: more oats and hope fer better weather next wknd.

Spent Saturday afternoon scoping out another local art show. Now that we're back home, I'll be working on a few turned things in various stages of being done, as well as a big cutting board I've had in progress for a while. I'll also be putting the final coat of paint on a post that I cobbled together to to use as a center support for a long closet rod in our bedroom. Last Tuesday morning I opened the closet to grab a shirt, and the rod (with about 17 tons of clothes on it) had fallen to the floor. Too much weight, and not enough support. The new center post will handle things. It's wood, but not really woodworking. ;)

Greg: Septic pump? :huh: Very unusual around here unless folks are going uphill for the drainage field. Five years seems about right to get a tank pumped. Varies considerably depending on size of family, tank and.....who is giving the advice. :rolleyes: Messy and expensive job, I sure don't evny you. Did you have to move out for a couple days while the work was being done?

Man, that bites. I've heard of septic pumps before, best solution to an impossible problem. I've also heard of tanks left so long without pumping that they wouldn't pump. If you don't know what happens next, you don't want to :eek: :eek: :eek:

There's also a very funny Garrison Keillor story along these lines. Worth a listen even if one's not a fan of his. Talks about the curse of being "handy" - people call you when stuff like this happens.

I'm finally getting some woodworking done this week(+end). Making door jambs and paneling from African Mahogany for our hall. I keep forgetting the camera though :doh: Maybe after lunch. Stuff kinda sucks to plane, all that interlocked grain, but sure is pretty.

Major bummer Larry

I just figured you and Webster were slacking again :huh: :dunno: :rofl:

well steve,, i didnt slack to much, worked on my daughters hutch and got some things around fer fishun trip this week,, the one and only probally:( this will be the first year i wasnt fishun on the first day of bass season.. to many irons and still dont see the light at the end of the tunnel

Greg: Septic pump? :huh: Very unusual around here unless folks are going uphill for the drainage field.

Yeah, Frank, our drain field runs up this slope and across the yard. 6 left/right sections off the main center line. 20' to the right and 80' to the left

IMG_0042.jpg

Messy and expensive job, I sure don't evny you. Did you have to move out for a couple days while the work was being done?

Actually, I'm doing all the work myself! And, since "my poop don't stink", it's not bad at all.... :)rofl:) especially since I'm only dealing with the the filtered grey water tank where the pump is located. :D

Greg: Septic pump? :huh: Very unusual around here unless folks are going uphill for the drainage field.

Yeah, Frank, our drain field runs up this slope and across the yard. 6 left/right sections off the main center line. 20' to the right and 80' to the left

IMG_0042.jpg

Messy and expensive job, I sure don't evny you. Did you have to move out for a couple days while the work was being done?

Actually, I'm doing all the work myself! And, since "my poop don't stink", it's not bad at all.... :)rofl:) especially since I'm only dealing with the the filtered grey water tank where the pump is located. :D

However, I've got a bunch of 1/4 round trim and corbels to install...3 mirror frames to build and install...and a bunch of chair rails to cut/install. I would rather be doing that and getting a little dusty, than getting just plain dirty! :doh:

Helped a friend of a friend move their storage unit . . . weeeeee. Got the leg material for the 'next' bench machined and glued up.

Attachments

• Leg Glue Up.jpg
    Leg Glue Up.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 26
Woodworking for the yard

If you've ever lived in an old house with a basement you probably had one of these old double-basin concrete slop sinks. We had an abandoned one that had been sitting around the basement then garage since we bought the house; so, we decided to wheel it out and turn it into a planter. Except we didn't want it to look like a slop sink so I built a surround. Started this last weekend with milling up the stock and the glue-ups but got it all built today. It's back in the shop tonight getting a finish. It was a good practice project and I learned a few things along the way, so all's well that ends well.

Attachments

• IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2353.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 23
If you've ever lived in an old house with a basement you probably had one of these old double-basin concrete slop sinks. We had an abandoned one that had been sitting around the basement then garage since we bought the house; so, we decided to wheel it out and turn it into a planter. Except we didn't want it to look like a slop sink so I built a surround. Started this last weekend with milling up the stock and the glue-ups but got it all built today. It's back in the shop tonight getting a finish. It was a good practice project and I learned a few things along the way, so all's well that ends well.
Great idea, Tim, and it came out looking very nice. :thumb:

Finally figured out my new dovetail jig. :thumb: Used it to make dovetails for the carcase of a buffet/bookcase I'm making. Its a Festool. Like most dovetail jigs, there is a learning curve. One thing I really like about it is the dust control. I hogged out about 30 feet of dovetails and there's hardly any dust on the floor.

It was the first application that really gave the Festool vac a challenge. Unaware that I had filled the bag like a brick, I wound up stopping up the hose. :doh: So I pulled out the so-called 5 HP shopvac, poked a stick up the hose to loosen things up and went at it. The shopvac jammed up 4 times before I finally got the Festool hose cleaned!:rofl:

Hopefully during the week I'll have time to put in the center divider and shelves, then start on the door for the right hand side. Its gonna take a while:rolleyes:

Attachments

• dovetails.jpg
    dovetails.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 36
Very cool Jesse!

One of them Festool vacs is on my list of things I want/need, just got to get the funds together, and if you think they are a bit expensive in the US, try Japan.... :eek:

I know it will be money well spent.

Cheers!