What wood would go nicely with very straight tight Fir?

tim Rowledge

I have some really nice straight grain fir that I'm thinking of making into a small cupboard; it would be great at the carcase/faceframe/doorframe stock. I'm trying to imagine suitable woods for the door panel. I have wild cherry that might work and teak seems a possibility.
What would others suggest considering?

Hi Tim. :wave:
It all depends on how you intend to meld the two, or three. I think the cherry will be in the same tonal range and if you are looking to get contrast and appreciation for each of the woods I think you might clear coat a few inches of each and lay them beside one another. Some times a 3/8" strip color change can be quite striking. Be wise and have fun.:D
Shaz:)

Tim, is this Douglas fir that you are talking about? I'm picturing a strong color contrast between early and late wood. With that in mind I think either a very plain wood with little grain variation or a contrasting would with similar straight grain would be good. Maybe some straight grained teak or some rather plain walnut. Or perhaps you could find some yellow cedar and make the entire thing of softwood.

I think I'll have to post some small shots of the stuff I have. Describing the colours simply isn't going to make sense to all of us... even if no one here is technically colour blind.
I might even have time after meetings...

I think I'll have to post some small shots of the stuff I have.

So, this post shold include some small shots of my stock. The Fir is really light and tight. I just hope I can get enough to do the interior trim on the house I'm hoping to start building soon!

From left to right - fir, cherry, maple.

Attachments

• StraightFir.jpg
    StraightFir.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 20
  • WildCherry.jpg
    WildCherry.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Chocolate Maple.jpg
    Chocolate Maple.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 13
Here's another view...I like either combo with the fir. I also agree with Shaz's comment about a thin contrasting accent.

Wood Sample.jpg

I would nix the idea of using teak. It works well on a boat because it handles the wetness well, but teak will washout to gray over time even with some finish over it.. I am not sure you would want that in a kitchen.

I would go with yellow birch.

Nice Fir! They use Fir a lot for doors out here. All my doors are fir. It makes a good panel, too. I would be a little nervous using figured wood for the panel and straight grained wood for the rest, might clash.

I saw a really cool cabinet the other day at a house for sale. It used simple woods but the panel had about 1/4 strip of purpleheart or something very dark red running vertically up the panel. Stunning.