Bevels, Dados and ZCI

Sean Wright

I just made a few Zero Clearance Inserts for my table saw. I have only made rip and cross cuts with them in. I was thinking about making some from my CMS.

Does anyone use ZCI when making bevel cuts on a table saw or on a CMS...or for that matter compound miter cuts? Is it better to put the wider factory insert back in for these cuts?

I have a dado insert for my table saw, its a one size opening for no matter what size dado you are making. Should I keep using that, or should I make up a stack of ZCIs? (one for each size dado)

Thanks !

I made ones for 45*. Beyond that I just run the factory plates.

P.s. The TS plate is upside down.

Attachments

• 45 degree ZCIs.jpg
    45 degree ZCIs.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 41
Only need for ZCI would be to prevent offcuts from dropping in the slot or help with the spintering. As was previously stated, the factury insert is better for Miter cuts. A little addendum I use often to simulate a ZCI is to lay index paper (file folder) across the throat gap from using the factory insert. Tape it to the table and it will provide that Zero Clearance you are looking for to keep offcuts from falling(wedging) in the slot. Most all miter guages and fences will pass over the index paper and causes no problem. I often use this in regular cuts when I can't locate my ZCI (or like the last time when I broke it in half... That happens when your slot almost severs the plate and you drop it and then stomp on it and kick it across the room whilst you bend down quickly and thump your knoggin on the table causing disturbing words to utter forth as you slobber into near unconscienceness, DAMHIK):eek:

That happens when your slot almost severs the plate and you drop it and then stomp on it and kick it across the room whilst you bend down quickly and thump your knoggin on the table causing disturbing words to utter forth as you slobber into near unconscienceness, DAMHIK):eek:

Bill . .. you're killin' me :rofl: That one got me going.