Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Client needs new drawers

Client needs new drawers

As woodworkers we will always have clients, someone who wants us to build something. Sometimes we ourselves are that client. Sometimes our children, our spouses, in-laws, out-laws and sometime a client that is willing to pay is the focus of this wonderful mix of planning and building. Such a person called me the other day.
    I am writing this, this way for those of you who do not do this for principle income, but rather for fun, having other jobs that produce income weekly, without the economic hills and valleys of the self employed woodworker. Also without the freedom.
    My nickname is Shaz. "Shaz" she says, " I need some new drawers and was wondering if you could stop by and see me so that we could talk about it?"
    "Sure enough", I said. I like her and have done work for her in the past.
    She is high energy and very stimulating with her thoughts, ideas and stories.
    We set a time and I went in to meet her at her office, not knowing what she had in mind.
    This is the part where we get to the juicy stuff like what she really wants and her real needs.
    Stay tuned in.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Shaz,

"Shaz" she says, " I need some new drawers and was wondering if you could stop by and see me so that we could talk about it?"
    An opening line that like can take this thread in all sorts of directions...

I'm staying tuned...

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Steve Clardy Guest
    ears wide open---------------------just used 20 Q-tips

Pictures, man. We got to have pictures!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Shaz, I hope it turns out to be fun and profitable!!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Why am I reading this? Nothing about drawers or woodworking. What is it about? I thought this whole new forum was about woodworking. Stu help!!!

Steve Clardy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lucas View Post
    Why am I reading this? Nothing about drawers or woodworking. What is it about? I thought this whole new forum was about woodworking. Stu help!!!

We're waiting for the punch line

John, maybe we'll get to see some attractive customer pics and you can have some competition for your website.

By the way, you have to tell us your recruiting secrets. I thought the general guideline (Amy Devers exception) was you could have "good looking" "knows how to use power tools" but not both! Yet somehow you seem to keep finding good looking competent people for your web site.

Of course if I had helpers like that showing up in my garage/shop my wife might start wondering what was going on!

Jay

Well okay, I got in the truck and set out over to her office. She offices out of about a 10 story on Bering , in Houston. I went in then up to her office and let the receptionist know who I was and asked if Connie was there( let us use the name Connie for anonymity). She said yes, just as Connie rounded a corner. She seemed pleased to see me.
    "Shaz" she said, "i've been thinking of this for about a year".
    I said " Well Connie what do you need from me?" Then comes the line we really like to hear, " Shaz, I need a lot of new drawers".
    I said "okay, what do you need them for"?
    I may be naive but some times I ask the right questions. After all I am a man looking at a women who has just told me she needs a lot of new drawers.
    She says to me, "We need them for our teeth."
    For you, either the dust has cleared or the plot has thickened.
    More later
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Oh, by the way, I would never do anything to knowingly offend anyone, their spouse or the children. My intent is to share the joy I have found working with wood and some of the experiences I have had as a professional woodworker and artist throughout the years. Sometimes my presentation is different than normal but my intent is sharing and respect.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how