treated lumber question?

larry merlau

when attaching the treated bottom plate to the studs, what are they using for this nail eatin lumber? gun nails or handnailing with galvinized nails? back in the dark ages i used hot dipped gun nails but that gun is dead and havnt had the need for them in some time. now with the new treatment i am in wonderment any help is appreciated.. i am using a hitachi 8324 round head gun...

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself to the forum. I've been selling softwood lumber for the last 26 years.

The new treatments have different requirements for fasteners. Wood treated with the borate products are generally thought to be no more corrosive than untreated wood but I'd opt to use some sort of galvanized fasteners. Wood treated with ACQ, ACZA and CA-B (look at the treating stamp on the wood) require hot dipped fasteners. Most local standards are requiring triple dipped galvanized fasteners. Also if you're using hold downs or other Simpson type builders hardware it too should be triple hot dipped. Triple dipped is often referred to as G185 which is the amount of zinc used.

If you have any doubt ask the local official as some localities has specific requirements.