Stuff I've been working on

Sean Wright

I've recently finished some jigs and small shop items, and I figured I should post the pictures..... 'cause without a picture.... it didn't happen. :doh:

First was a push block for the TS.

Next I had slightly revised the Rail Coping Jig, and swapped some MDF for Birch Ply, to give the screws something to bite into.

Next, I made my 1st Zero Clearance Inserts for my table saw. I have also included a picture of what my shop made splitter looks like.

Finally, In anticipation of my Steel City DC (hopefully will pick it up tomorrow :D ) I made the "poor man's cyclone", a shop built trash can separator. I know I could have bought one, but it was fun making my own.

Attachments

• PushBlock1.jpg
    PushBlock1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 114
  • rcjig03.jpg
    rcjig03.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 105
  • rcjig02.jpg
    rcjig02.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 77
  • rcjig01.jpg
    rcjig01.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 81
  • ZCI1.jpg
    ZCI1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 87
  • ZCI2.jpg
    ZCI2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 72
  • sep1.jpg
    sep1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 79
  • sep2.jpg
    sep2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 83
  • sep3.jpg
    sep3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 51
Sean

Looks great! Did you make the handles as well, or are they a purchased item? I'm trying to figure out the finish on them if they are shop made.

Jay

Sean

Looks great! Did you make the handles as well, or are they a purchased item? I'm trying to figure out the finish on them if they are shop made.

Jay

Jay,

The handles are both shop made. The rough shape idea came from the handle that Rockler uses for their Rail Coping Jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16416&filter=rail coping

I made the one for the Coping Jig first, then I used it as a pattern and cut a duplicate with a pattern bit on the router table. They are made out of 5/4 thick Fiberon Composite Decking scraps that I had left over from building my deck. That is why they have the raised texture on the sides. (I though that would make a cool looking handle ;) ) After I had the shape then rounded over the edges with a 1/4in round over bit on the router table.

Fiberon is a composite that is made out of recycled pastic grocery store bags and hardwood saw dust from sawmills. You might have noticed that I didn't surface mount them, they were both put in dados that I cut. The reason being is that this stuff likes to split when putting screws in near the ends (more so than most wood). The dado holds the ends together incase they do decide to split.

As to the finish, there is none, thats just how grey Fiberon looks. I have to say it machines very nicely. Any cutting or shaping that you can do with wood, will work on this stuff-- And no Sanding! :thumb:

Looking good there, Sean. Very cool idea on the Fiberon. I may have to pick up a stick just to have some around for stuff like this. I bet it would make a stable non-staining 'sticker' if ripped down (or maybe not if it's too plasticky), hmmm. I love how one idea spawns another on this forum.

As for the Fiberon, in the shop I also made a set of push sticks shortly after gettng my table saw. They have worked out well, for something that I just kinda threw together.

When I get a chance I will trace the profile of the handles, scan it in, and post it. This way if anyone wants to make them, they will be just a short trip to the band saw and the router table away. ;)