Anyone know about Tools for Less

I've not had any dealings with them, but I agree the price is good. I'm also a bit leery that they don't publish their phone number, but then again I also know other (reputable) businesses who make it hard to find their number on the website, including the one I work for. It really is less expensive to handle customer service via e-mail, or at least it is for our company. In the end, it helps us keep our prices low.

Two sides to everything. Once my web site is up it will not have my phone number or my full name. I don't want time wasted on phone calls and/or solicitations or my name involved in spam/scams, or whatever. There will be a business e-mail, not my personal one. If I have questions, I can call the customer. One of my main items will be custom gunstocks. I have been a gun dealer and know, first hand, how long someone can talk about 'grand daddy's old gun'. I don't need that. If my web site isn't complete or self-explanatory, that will be my loss but I hope to do it well. Not wanting to spend wasted hours on the phone doesn't automatically make me dishonest.

Last edited:
Yup - They have done well by me.

Hi Jay - I have ordered from them a few times and they have been great every time. Quick ship, fair shipping prices and good product prices - they are one of the places I always check when I'm buying something. They also have some more obscure things that others don't carry - cases, parts, etc. So, for my part... :thumb: :thumb:

I've heard others talk about them favorably, but have no first had experience myself. I would imagine they don't publish a telephone number as it would be busy all the time, they would need extra staff to "man the phones" and costs/prices would go up. They appear to prefer to work via internet/e/mail and keep costs down.

Thanks for the information guys

Well, I tried to order but their website said that my address and zip code didn't match!

Sent them an email, will be interesting to see what happens

Jay

Thanks for the information guys

Well, I tried to order but their website said that my address and zip code didn't match!

Sent them an email, will be interesting to see what happens

Jay

I had that happen once when I ordered from someone, I forget who. I remember that I knew that I listed the correct zip code as it was someone that I had ordered from before and used the auto fill in so I checked the order and their "system" had the wrong zip code sure as the dickens. I removed everything from my cart and started over. It worked the second time.

Allen

Clearing out the shopping cart didn't work, so I reset IE, cleared out everything in the browser and tried again, no luck.

And no reply from them, have to see what tomorrow brings.

Jay

Two sides to everything. Once my web site is up it will not have my phone number or my full name. I don't want time wasted on phone calls and/or solicitations or my name involved in spam/scams, or whatever. There will be a business e-mail, not my personal one. If I have questions, I can call the customer. One of my main items will be custom gunstocks. I have been a gun dealer and know, first hand, how long someone can talk about 'grand daddy's old gun'. I don't need that. If my web site isn't complete or self-explanatory, that will be my loss but I hope to do it well. Not wanting to spend wasted hours on the phone doesn't automatically make me dishonest.

I'm not saying anyones dishonest I just don't do business over the internet using a computer. I do research & look for things on the internet but if there is no phone number or they won't provide one so we can do business that way "oh well".

Allen

Clearing out the shopping cart didn't work, so I reset IE, cleared out everything in the browser and tried again, no luck.

And no reply from them, have to see what tomorrow brings.

Jay

Jay,

First, I haven't heard of them before, so I can't help you there. :dunno:

Second, If clearing the cashe and cookies didn't fix it. you might want to try downloading the Firefox browser. Its free and maybe it would handle the site better.

Good service

Well, I heard from them promptly this morning, looks like it wasn't my problem

I feel good about how rapidly they replied, now the proof will be in the shipping!

Hello Jay,

Thank you for contacting us. We are sorry about the problem that you encountered. We currently have USPS address validation software running in our checkout, and for whatever reason, the PO Box address is simply not being recognized by the USPS data base. And, of course, your shipping address was not passing the bank validation because it is not your correct billing address. We have spoken with the bank, and they did confirm the PO Box address as being the correct billing address. We can now do a manual authorization for the order and process it for shipment. We expect your order to ship out today; thanks again.

Sincerely,

Keith
Toolsforless.com
http://www.toolsforless.com/

Sounds good for you, but they are out for me........

In general, Toolsforless.com only ships to addresses within the 50 United States. We can ship to overseas military "APO" and "FPO" addresses via USPS only. Toolsforless ships to no other international destinations at this time.

Just once, I'd really like to hear a good explination for this, just once!

:rolleyes:

This is second hand from a friend who ran a business for a while...

Many business' in the US don't ship to non-US address' for two reasons.

1) The first is that they do not want to deal with the customs paperwork overhead. Having to have all the various customs forms and authorizations for all the various countries required of commercial enterprises just isn't justified by the level of business actually generated.

2) Second, the level of packages returned to sender because the buyer didn't know his country's import limitations, didn't supply all the correct information, etc. leads to eating shipping and overhead costs that just aren't cost effective.

I can't vouch for the truth or falsehood of the above. I can only tell you that that was why he said he didn't ship outside the US (APO/FPO excepted).

Hey Chip, thanks for the explination, but I personally think it is just an excuse.

LOTS of small businesses ship overseas, LOTS.

From doing it myself, there is no "Special" paper work for each country, there is ONE form to fill out, and it is not "EXTRA" to the normal form you fill out to ship something, it is "INSTEAD" of the normal form you fill out.

I don't know about the "Return to sender" thing, but the companies that do ship overseas have it spelled out in their shipping instructions that if you order something that gets rejected at customs, it is the customers problem..............

Please note that the prices we quote do not include any customs or duty charges applicable to your order. Your order may be subject to customs and duties (taxes) which are payable, by you, upon receipt of the order. Unfortunately, we have no control over these charges nor are we able to estimate what they would be as they vary from country to country. You may want to check with your local Customs Department for more information or for an estimate of these charges.

Returns
If for any reason, you wish to return a product, please e-mail us for instructions. Unfortunately, shipping costs and return postage are not refundable on International orders.

I very much appreciate your info Chip, but I still don't buy it.:)

I really have no problem with a company saying "We just don't want to" but I've yet to hear that honest answer yet :D :wave:

Cheers!

I've gotta concur withg Chip (and his friend). Our company does ship internationally, but there is indeed additional overhead involved. When you've got trained monkeys packing and shipping things, the more "different" steps necessary in the process, the more chances there are for the monkeys to make a mistake. ;)

Well, I heard from them promptly this morning, looks like it wasn't my problem

I feel good about how rapidly they replied, now the proof will be in the shipping!

http://www.toolsforless.com/

Jay - glad to hear they were on top of this right away this morning. I think this approach just allows them to scale a small shop to do a national business and still keep the cost of doing business low. The fact that they were so responsive in email means, at least IMO, that they have a good system down for customer communications and service which is really important to build credibility as an 'e-business'.

Anyway, let us know how it goes and hey... nobody has mentioned this, but this is a bit of stealth gloat if I'm not mistaken!

I was once an active dealer/trader for old Lesney Matchbox cars. There are a lot of avid collectors in Germany and Australia. After a few transactions where MY bank fees to receive funds exceeded the amount of the sale, I simply stopped selling outside the U.S. Admittedly, that was in pre-Pay Pal days, maybe things have changed.

I was once an active dealer/trader for old Lesney Matchbox cars. There are a lot of avid collectors in Germany and Australia. After a few transactions where MY bank fees to receive funds exceeded the amount of the sale, I simply stopped selling outside the U.S. Admittedly, that was in pre-Pay Pal days, maybe things have changed.

PayPal takes 4%, here in Japan, retail, the Credit Card companies take 7%, bank charges are stupid expensive, and you can wait 3 months, yes MONTHS for a non-Japanese cheque to clear.

Credit cards have eliminated that part of the equation.

As for the trained Monkey bit, well you pay peanuts, you get monkeys :rofl: