New Lathe and scroll saw (to me)

Alan DuBoff

Former Member (by the member's request)
This is a kinda late gloat, but I just got it a couple days ago, and haven't put it together yet. I posted a stealth gloat when I found it but it's taken quite a while to make it's way to me.

I will need to fix the tredle arm, as it's broken, but in general this is in great shape. This is made before the turn of the century, sometime in the late 1800s.

This is a tool that pre-dates the Goodell-Pratt Co. and was built by Goodell prior to that.

It's a Goodell Improved Lathe/Scroll-Saw.

It's going in my hand tool shop.

This picture is a bit deceiving, the scroll saw mounts on the right side of the saw, and in this pic it is turned sideways laying on the lathe.

This is a real nice tool, for those that like old tools.

Cool stuff, Alan. Even has variable speed, too. :) I like the star pattern in the foot treadle. Be sure to post pics when you get it all up and running.

Alan

"It's going in my hand tool shop?"

Oh no, a new level of competition! Not only do some of us have wonderful shops but they are segmented in to hand tool and presumablly power tool sections!

I'll never catch up!:bang:

Oh well, enjoy

I think that treadle power is going to be the next new thing

Jay

Here's some better pics of what it looks like when it's kind of assembled. I need to fix a couple things and get a few nuts/bolts to hold the scroll saw on, it just has a small one holding it in place.

Also, I need to figure out how the scroll saw turns, I think the handle un-screws on the tailstock assembly.

This 'thang really has some gizmocity, it's a real galoot tool! :thumb:

(linky pic)

Hey, it looks like I did get some fiber in my diet, you can't live on protein alone! :p

That is really really cool Alan, you will get a work out while working on wood! :thumb:

I think the lathe will only be for smaller things, especially spindle work, but I'm betting it would be perfect for stuff like pens.

Can't wait to see it all fixed up making some sawdust or curlies :D

Cheers!!

I think the lathe will only be for smaller things, especially spindle work, but I'm betting it would be perfect for stuff like pens.
Funny you mention a pen, my daughter likes a pen I have made out of Amboyna burl, and she knows I have some purple heart (purple is her favorite color;-). I haven't turned much at all, and as I told her, I need to get a couple lathe tools, or forge 'em.

I was originally thinking this would be good to make stuff like chisel handles, stuff like that, but I prefer more of an square or octogan type handle that is either rasp'd or shaved/knifed.

Here's a pen I turned last year.

That was turned on a Jet mini-lathe, so not sure how much work or how difficult it will be to turn hardwoods on the goodell. I'll find out soon enough.:huh: