Jewelry box for SIL

Hi Folks, Just finished this jewelry box comissioned by my SIL. Its mostly Honduran Mahogany with Desert Ironwood for accents, interior components of poplar and baltic birch. 16" tall, 18" wide and 13.5" deep. The inlay on the top doesn't have quite the contrast I'd hoped for, but it's better than the picture shows, (inlay made from bookmatched pieces of Ironwood burl BTW) Finish was 6 or 7 coats of Frombys gloss tung oil finish wiped on. I rubbed out each coat with brow paper bag in between (works great if you havent tried it). This is my third version of this design, each one gets a little bigger. Have no idea of the hours on this, but it was a heck of a lot. Now I've got to pack it up and mail it to Richmond VA. I'm a little concerned about the high humidity there causing the drawers to stick (I'm in AZ). I managed to take several pictures during the building process so if I get up the energy, I will post a tutorial of some of the things that work well for me. Cheers, Barry

Attachments

• Jewelry box 1.jpg
    Jewelry box 1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 97
  • jewelry box 3.jpg
    jewelry box 3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 80
  • lewelry box 07.jpg
    lewelry box 07.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 88
  • jewelry box 06.jpg
    jewelry box 06.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 92
Woa, that's just absolutely beautiful. Great work on all counts. :thumb: Thanks for showing the pics, and I'd like to see your progress pics and tips when you have time to post them.

Wow Barry, nice work indeed! :thumb:

Sure glad my lovely wife did not see this one :D

Yes, she wants a jewelry box, I've got to get around to making one..........one day:rolleyes:

I too would love to see a tutorial on how you did this great work!

Cheers!

Sure glad I didn't miss this post. That is just stunning. If you don't mind my asking - what did you use to hinge the end panel doors? They're somewhat along the lines of what I'm planning for a jewelry box for my sister and I've been waffling on what to use. I'm thinking SOSS at this point, but I'd be curious what you used.

Hey, thanks for the complements all! I'll post some detailed assembly pictures soon.

Doug, I just used 2" brass hinges from Rockler, but I noticed afterward that Home Depot sells the same type. Here's a pic of the back.

Attachments

• tutorial13.jpg
    tutorial13.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 20
OH me, here I go again!

Another trip out to the shop to beat up on my tools. I just don't know why they can't do work like that.:dunno:

But really, that is just plain outstanding work, fantastic, great, beautiful.:thumb: