Building a new shop with attached house - Done.

Congrats to you Don that you have a date set for the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

PM me with info on your favorite beverage and maybe we can imbibe some of it together come March (providing that I can pass out on your shop floor afterwards).

[Single malt something, IIRC… jeeze, must be an Irish drink of some kind… Oh Oh!]

Well the driveway and sidewalk are in, the hardwood flooring is done, the carpeting is in. It looks like all that's left is the final clean up, touch up and installation of the appliances. So we are looking good for the walk through in a couple of week. Got an appointment with the escrow company in the afternoon and I'll set up to have the funds transferred directly from the bank to the escrow company the same day. :thumb: Woo hoo looks like we will be in by the 24th. I'll take final picture when we do the walk through and post them on this thread.

Congrats to you Don that you have a date set for the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

PM me with info on your favorite beverage and maybe we can imbibe some of it together come March (providing that I can pass out on your shop floor afterwards).

[Single malt something, IIRC… jeez, must be an Irish drink of some kind… Oh Oh!]

Single Malt Scotch..:thumb:
So when you coming out Frank. it's in the 80's here today, sure would beat being in the frozen tundra.

The first interirior shot is looking towards the from of the house and is the living room Living room.jpg and dinning room area. Dining room.jpgThis room is 22 1/2 x 16 1/2. Next is a shot going towards the Great room and kitchen. Entrance hall.jpg. To the right as you go towards the great room is a hallway Front Hall.jpgthat leads to to bedrooms and the guest bath. Bed room 5 is 13 x 12 Bedroom 5.jpg and bedroom 4 is 12 x 10. Bed room 4.jpg. The guest bath is a 1/2 bath.Guest Bath.jpg

Last edited:
Well we had our walkthrough with the builder and all in all it wasn't to bad. Other then some scratched on the tub in one of the bathrooms and a door missing in the master bath everything else was cosmetic and shouldn't take long to correct. In the tour you will see blue tape indicating where something need to be corrected.

First a shot of the front of the house finished.Finsihed Front.jpg Next is the back Back of house.jpg and the 50 foot patio Patio.jpg. Here is a shot from the back yard looking at the back of the shop. Back of shop.jpgThis is the garage as you leave the house.Garage 1.jpg And the third bay of the garage which will be used for woodworking. Garage 3.jpg And finally looking across the garage towards the entrance to the house.Garage 2.jpg

Last edited:
Don needs to build a double car ga--rage for them beaters.;)

My internet went down while I was posting the tour and LOML wanted me to take her to dinner (I think she unplugged the modem). Anyhow back to the tour.

This is the great room as you enter from the Living/Dining room. Great room 1.jpgGreat Room 2.jpg It is 24 1/2 x 18 1/2, Not counting the ajacent Kitchen Great room 1.jpgGreat Room 2.jpg. The kitchen is open with an island since, all granite counter tops. Kitchen 1.jpgKicthen 2.jpg If you look in the left top corbner of the picture you will see the missing piece of trim Kitchen 3.jpg. Off of the great room we have the master bed room 16,3/4 x 15 Master Bed room.jpg Master bath Master Bath1.jpg This pisture is taken from inside of the walk in closet Master Bath2.jpg
I didn't take picture of the camode room or the walk in closet. You can see in the picture of the bath the door that is missing.

Congratulations Don! But, why are you going to be only using one bay for woodworking?

Congratulations from me, also, Don. Looks like a great place.

But I'm with Frank. :D
Seriously, I've lived in the snowbelt my entire life, I understand the use of a garage a protection from the elements, both for the car, and for us getting in and out of it, not to mention not needing to dig it out or sweep it off. But in California and Arizona and other southern climates? I've never really understood why people need a garage. Carport, maybe. But a garage is a waste of a good shop. :D What do you say, Vaughn? You're a shop-in-the-garage Californian!

Frank & Art,
LOML has asked me to do something to keep the saw dust out of the house. I have decided to build a wall between the 3rd bay and the 2nd bay. The 1st bay is reserved for LMOL's Saburban. The shop will be air conditioned. I already had them install R 39 insulation in the garage walls and ceiling. I will use the 3rd bay as a mill works/sanding area and then use the second bay as an assembly/finish area. I have also decide to put a 20' x 10' slab behind the 3rd bay and on nice days I can expand into that area. Eventully when funds become available I plan to buid a seperate 24'x30' stand alone shop in the back yard. Art in AZ it gets a little toasty in the summer.

Don, Congrats on the beautiful new home. Looks very nice and spacious.

Always a final punch list to do and then move in.

Enjoy the new digs.

Fantastic Don, I hope this is the last time you move, I personally really hate moving, so if this is the last home you build and move into, I'm sure you will be really comfortable!

Looks great, a TON of space for just two of you, but then again, I live in Tokyo! :D

Cheers!

Bigtime congrats, Don! Looks like a beautiful place. Glad I'm not there to help you move. :D

Art, LOML, a SoCal girl all her life, covers her cars when they're parked at home (except when it's raining, because she doesn't want the car cover to get wet). She's also pretty vigiliant about keeping them clean. I leave mine to the elements and wash 'em when they look dirty. :rolleyes: I've told her that our next house will have garage parking for the cars, and a separate shop for me. When the day comes that we cash out and move from here, those two items will be real high on our shopping list.

In Don's neck of the woods it makes sense to park the car indoors in the summer. They get intensely hot inside, and the air conditioner has an easier time keeping up if it's garaged.