Table Finished (from Bits and Bobs of Bubinga)

Alex Reid

Here's some photos of the dining table I have been working on the last couple of months. The table top is a little different with breadboard ends that expand and contract toward the center not the sides. This idea is from a recent FWW issue. I used figured bubinga, curly maple and ebony. The finish is shellac seal coat and Sam Maloof finish. For the second step of the Maloof finish I used a blend wax of beeswax, carnauba and something called Japan wax with BLO, tung oil and gum turpentine.

For this project there were a few firsts for me; breadboard ends, veneer (shop cut curly maple veneer glued to a maple substrate), leg stringing and feet on the leg ends.

I also made some accessories for this table; salt and pepper mill set, bottle stopper and serving tray. Regretfully I did not make a set of chairs but would like to in the furture.

Overall I am quite happy with the results. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• table2.jpg
    table2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 94
  • pedestal.jpg
    pedestal.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 77
  • center.jpg
    center.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 75
  • turned_pieces.jpg
    turned_pieces.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
That really looks great! I'm impressed that you have an entire dining set that matches. Are you going to make some chairs to match it now?

Alex

Very, very nice! What a wonderful job and the accessories are very cool.

Thanks for the post

Jay

That is great Alex, is this the commision for the SIL?

Boy whomever gets this will be really happy with it, I'm sure.

Guys, Alex's shop is small, and I know he works a lot, commute and everything, and has a young (VERY sweet) daughter, so I know that this project took a fairly long time, but man, is it nice.

Hats off to you buddy, that is nice work!

Any chance to see it when we come down in July :D

Cheers!

The whole package is flat-out gorgeous, Alex. You do very nice work, and whoever ends up owing these pieces will be very happy (and fortunate) campers. :thumb:

Thanks all for the warm comments.

Clark the flatness of the panels was controlled by first using flat (end-to-end panels). The panels were severely cupped so I had to rip them, joint them, thickness plane them and them glue em back up. I managed to keep the joint practically seamless being barely detectable in one or two areas under close scrutiny.

Stu unfortunately you won't be able to see it when you come down in July as it went to SIL. Looking forward to the beach party in July. BTW if you have anything you want drum sanded bring it down and we'll put it through.