wats the best Roy Underhill book?

Frank Fusco

I don't do the Neanderthal thing anymore but I do appreciate Roy Underhill's way of teaching. I also enjoy old things and techniques from the past. I got a B&N gift certificate from the grands for Father's Day and want to buy one of Roy's books. What I'm looking for is the book with the best (most?) plans for olde timey type stuff. Suggestions?

Hi Frank,
I don't think there's one best. It depends what you want to make. He's got one with really nice plans for a shaving horse, a wood threader [I tried and couldn't get it right] and lots of other stuff. I'm sorry but I don't remember which one it was. Could you get them at the library, peruse them and then decide? Amazon might have tables of contents.
Nice stealth gloat, BTW.
Regards,
Ken

who`s roy?.......some talking head on tv?

Roy Underhill is a masochist that uses colonial tools with which to inflict pain upon himself.:eek:

Roy had/has a program on PBS where he builds items using tools that were in use during colonial America. He is very good at his craft, but his work is not for the weak of back or intentions.

Last edited:
Only 150 years, Rennie? Think it's more like 200-250-300--he's using tools like those that were used in Jamestown and Williamsburg and St. Augustine and Plymouth.

I agree with Ken - he "is a masochist that uses colonial tools with witch to inflict pain upon himself." It's also painful watching him.

Nancy

Yes, one of the bloodiest shows on TV. ;)
I ordered a used copy of his "Favorite Projects" book from Barnes and Noble. I want to make a Tom Jefferson library ladder. Dunno why. I don't have a library or high walls. I just think it's a neat item. Folds up inside itself.

Take Norm back 150 years..... :eek:

.....and don't ask, "Who's Norm?":rofl: :rofl:

rennie, seriously i`ve never watched a "norm" show:eek: .......i`ve become accustomed to his name from advertising in magazines and mention on the forum(s).....if the time ever comes that i have an hour to sit in front of the media box i need to find something productive to do;)

rennie, seriously i`ve never watched a "norm" show:eek: .......i`ve become accustomed to his name from advertising in magazines and mention on the forum(s).....if the time ever comes that i have an hour to sit in front of the media box i need to find something productive to do;)

Don't worry about it. I'm not a Norm fan. The production of his shows seem contrived to me. And, IMHO, the way he shows how he does things is not a very good learning experience. And, despite talking safety, he does some things that I consider dangerous, not a good example.

Roy Underhill is a fascinating guy who is among the most enthusiastic people around. You can watch some of his shows on streaming video here: http://www.pbs.org/wws/schedule/26season_video.html

I would consider him more of a woodworking historian than a woodworker, but I also do not consider that to be an insult at all.

As far as deciding which book is "best", if you look on amazon, most of the books will let you look inside to see their tables of contents. I think if you are after actual plans to make stuff, The Woodwright's Apprentice might be a good bet. For stories, I think it's The Woodwright's Eclectic Workbook that was most entertaining. If you do find that one, make sure to look at the essay called "Henry, go soak your head". He's referring to Henry Thoreau, and Roy makes a very good case that you would not have wanted him to borrow your tools.