Snag List Nightmares

Yep, I use a "punch list"

In Michigan we are required to "stand behind" our work for 18 months.

It was getting close to that 18 months on the house I included pics on, when the homeowner nicely asked if i would mind coming over to go over a few "things"

Now I have been done and out of their to their "satisfaction" for a year and a half. I got a list of three pages on a legal size pad to "look at" this went from checking out a screw that came loose on a cabinet ( I did not build) to replacing weatherstripping (he bought) on a door his cat tore up...all maintenance issues.

Why am I responsible for the normal wear and tear done by him, his wife AND the family cat?

I spent the whole day because I wanted to keep the customer happy, even though I could have legally not had to do his "maintenance"

as promised....pics of the home

GardenBay

GardenBay

Yeh Steve. Wish I had had you build my house in 2004 instead of the guy I used. He had a punch and warranty list the week after close. A few weeks later, I finally found my copy of the contract (don't ask why I couldn't find it at close but it had to do with builder issues :( :rolleyes: ) to discover that things I asked about before close and was told weren't in the contract, were and he overcharged me by $15K. Once presented with a copy of the contract, he did own up to the $15K. Paid me $5K and promised a repayment schedule in Sept 05.

I have a law suit pending and the State of Michigan has decided I have a case as well and are threatening to take away his builder's license. I have a settlement hearing with him and the state 19 June. I'm not holding my breath.

This is all in the way of saying, there are a lot of Great builders and contracters out there (as evidence by many of the notes in this thread) but there are also some not so great people out there.

Unfortunate you made the offer. I would have held out for the amount agreed to unless they could clearly demonstrate you failed to live up to professional standards. Now, there is the risk they will tell others to just complain and you will cut the price.