Another Goblet

Curt Fuller

In the process of doing a demonstration for these goblets at our club I had to do several glue-ups to help explain the process. This is the last of them but it turned out to be the best imho. It's Ash with Koa for the celtic knot, finished with Watco danish oil and then Deft lacquer over that. 6.5" tall and 2" diameter. I won't post anymore of these, I promise.

Attachments

• ash goblet 1.jpg
    ash goblet 1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 31
Dang Curt, you've got the stem detail and proportions down to a fine art. No wonder you're doing demos. Great wood combination, too.

And none of this I won't post anymore of these, I promise stuff. If you keep making them, keep posting them. ;)

"How in the world do you do interlocking rings?"

That's what Doorlink wants to know. She'd almost let me get back on the lathe if she thought I was making one of these for her, with those rings... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks everyone.

As for interlocking the rings, there's a little magic involved. But mostly just be very careful when breaking them. Turn an extra or two just in case.

Attachments

• breaking the ring.JPG
    breaking the ring.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 11
That's really beautiful, Curt!:thumb:
Please don't stop showing your accomplishments.:( I'm just a beginner and at the moment trying to master the Skew Chisel. Okay, master may be a bit strong.:eek: But once I have it's control figured out to my satisfaction I want to try some of these goblets and the Celtic Knot. So please keep showing them as I appreciate the inspiration.:)
Thanks!

.....Gord

And, yes, I know the Skew Chisel is not for bowls or goblets!:D :rofl:

Sorry about that Ken, I spaced it off. Here are some crude pics that probably show how better than I can explain. The first shows how the first cut is made with a piece of the ring inserted. The second is after 3 sides have been cut and the ring piece glued in and the 4th side cut. The last pic shows what it looks like when the goblet is ready to turn. Hope that makes some sense.

BTW, this particular one is cut on a 25 degree angle.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: