Extremely humbling!

Curt Fuller

I made the trek down to Provo (Utah) to the Utah Woodturning Syposium. I didn't attend the symposium but just went to see the Instant Gallery. Man, what a humbling experience. I was absolutely blown away by the work on display both by the artistic creativity and the incredible skills in turning and finishing. I've never attended the symposium even though it's only about 90 miles from home. But after this trip I just might consider signing up for one.

I also screwed up and left the fresh batteries for my camera on the kitchen counter (where I sat them so I wouldn't forget them) so after just 3 pictures the camera shut down and I was out of business. You can order a cd of the gallery so I might just do that.

I'm not sure about the ethics, copyright rules, and such so if I'm breaking the rules by posting these pictures Vaughn just zap this.

Also, I apologize for not knowing the names of the artists that created these. The first pic is about the most gnarly hollowform I've ever seen. It's about 18" diameter and 8" tall. The next is a view across the gallery from just one corner. The center piece is a bronze casting of a sagebrush root holding a hollowform that is being eaten and carried away by cast bronze ants. The base is a box with a burl in it where the ants are storing the pieces they've cut from the hollowform. I wish it were a better photo because it is amazing.
The last is another HF by the same person. It's a HF supported on another cast bronze sagebrush root. Where the root transitions into the form it's inlaid and polished.

If I wouldn't have forgotten my batteries this post would have gone on for volumes. This had to be the most inspiring and humbling experience I've had in my woodturning experience.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 70
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 67
Hi Curt,
Man o Man that must have been a great time. The photos you shared are so mentally stimulating, not to reproduce but to take beyond in a way personal to our likes and ideas. Thanks again,
Shaz

Curt, what kind of price are those pieces going for?
Very beautiful. :bow:
I'll bet they were all over a fifty bucks. :rofl: Out of my range, for sure. :rolleyes: BTW, I like your avatar pic, Bruce. Cochiti Lake with the Jemez in the background, right? :p (Just kidding...I know better. It's really Tingley Pond and the Sandias.)

That must have been a very valuable trip Curt, if for no other reason than to provide you with a serious dose of inspiration.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of the pieces would you say were both aesthetically pleasing and technically challenging? Some of the "high-brow" artsy pieces I've seen have been technical masterpieces, but not really very attractive. :dunno:

As for prices, much of the work was marked not for sale. But there was a wide range of prices. There were a lot of pieces in the $500-1,000 range but there were also several price above $10,000.

Vaughn, I would have to honestly say that every piece I saw I would consider "aesthetically pleasing". Some would be incredibly challenging to the point that I would look at them and wonder how that was even possible. I think what surprised me most was that there was nothing mediocre. In fact I commented to my wife on the way home that my very best efforts wouldn't have equalled the worst piece in the gallery, if you could judge one as worst. Many of the pieces on display were ones that I've seen on the web or very similar pieces by some of the more prominent turners. It was surprising to see that some were much smaller or larger than I had pictured. But the overwelming quality of each piece was amazing. Cindy Drozda has always been someone who's work I've thought was at the top of the chart. But to see it with my own eyes and see how perfect each piece is in every detail just amazed me. Like I said, I may consider attending one of the seminars now just to see how these great turners get from the point that I would consider finished to the level that they achieve.

I envy your being within driving distance to the symposium. ;) Sounds like you'll use the whole experience to expand your turning. Someday I'd like to see a roomful of pieces at that quality level. Like you say...humbling, I'm sure.

Boy Curt those pieces are beautiful. By the looks of some of those I will be a newbie turner for a looooonnnnnggggg time. You got that right when you said humbling. My oh my.