Bevel Sled

glenn bradley

I had mentioned in an earlier post that I wasn't satisfied with the bevel cuts I was getting on the CMS. This was on small, difficult to support hardwood pieces. Blade deflection that wasn't a problem on larger pieces became evident on the smaller work. Let's add a large dash of my inexperience here to be fair to the CMS.

I've developed a method of sled building that I'm comfortable with and can knock out pretty quickly. I put together a small sled with hold downs to deal with the small pieces.

Parts -

Bevel Sled 1.jpg

Hold downs borrowed from the DP table -

Bevel Sled 2.jpg

Forstner holes at the ends of the t-track allow easy t-bolt insertion and removal -

Bevel Sled 3.jpg

You can see a couple larger sleds in the background of the second shot and as usual, my prowess as a photographer is evident ;) .

Last edited:
Great idea and great work Glenn. :thumb:

You just keep getting better and better.

DT

Nice job, Glenn. I like the holes at the ends of the t-track...I'll have to remember that trick. :thumb: I know we discussed sled vs. miter gauge a few days ago, but I see another advantage to the sled in that you effectively get a ZCI in the process.

Glenn,

Looks good! :thumb: I have never put T track in the middle of a piece of wood. Putting the holes at the end of the track never occured to me. :doh: I might need to "borrow" that idea for something down the road. ;)

With the exception of your t track & hold downs, couldn't you have used a regular cross cut sled and just used a different ZCI? - one cut for the bevel?