What was your first car

Bob Spare

Mine was a Ford model "A"
Paid with sweat and blood.

Worked for a farmer one summer, lived there get up 4 Am
to milk cows (20) and ride the combine for wheat, and hay cutting.

a 1964 ford fairlane with a powerful 160 :D could squeall tires if you were on dirt to get them slippun first. even got a ticket for exebition drivun witht eh powerful ford motor.. and had apair of coil springs wedged under the back frame to get her higher to look neat, but on the curves they would fall out sometimes and would have to retreive them:D bought it with hay money and paid my own insurance as well.

68 Dodge window van done up with padded & carpetted floor and curtains on all the windows. The teenage girls' dads always gave me a nasty look when I pulled up. Wonder why?:D

Technically this dunebuggy. I bought it right after High School and sold it the first time it got cold. Sorry if the immages are big.
dunebuggy.jpg

This was my first real car. Owned it for most of my college time.
chevelle1back.jpg

More pics of my cars here.

The first car I ever got to drive on a regular basis was a 1960 Renault Dauphin. When we got it, it was solid black but needed a paint job, so Daddy painted it with a white top, hood, and trunk lid, with the rest black. We called it "the skunk" for the rest of our days. For those of you who aren't familiar with this car, it was just about the size of the first Honda Civics to hit these shores---very small and cramped. My 6'6" father used to fold up like an accordian and fit into the car. Everyone in our little town recognized the car, so when I drove it, I'd pass people who would honk and wave---at the car, not the driver. I couldn't go anywhere without someone recognizing that car and me driving it. In about 1964, it started using oil---lots of oil. I was driving it back and forth to college, 11 miles each way. I'd put a quart of oil in it in the morning, drive it to school, than put another quart of oil in it in the evening to drive it home. That got expensive after a while.

The first car I ever owned was a 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 4-door, bright yellow. Paid $1000 for it in 1965, got it on Saturday, promptly backed it into a Cadillac on Sunday!!!

Gads I'm old!!!!

Nancy

1966 Plymouth Valiant. Ugly car, but anything that could be done in, on, near, or around a car was done with that car. I think it had more of a reputation than I did in HS! Flew it several feet off the ground, it just bounced and kept going. Also piled about 21 people in it and drove past the officer that was "dispersing" us!

Matt, I had the '76 hatchback. Had to stop and fill the oil and check the gas!

'66 GTO. High school colors, maroon with hand painted single side pinstripe. 389, with the powerslide,er glide transmission. Great car. Lots of oil leaks. Dad welded a 24" wide trough with2" lips about 6' long and put in the garage for me to park over...so it would catch all the oil! Not fun to clean up. Bought most of it with the money from selling my second motorcycle, and the remainder of the money from my paper route when I was in grade school, Dad chipped in the rest. Jim.

My all time favorite. I have a couple of them. 1955 Chevy 2 door Post. 283 and 4 speed. Was yellow (ICK) painted it gray. Black roll and pleat interior. Loved that car.

Gosh, you guys are young. ;) Mine was a 1948 Oldsmobile sedan. Big, honkin' straight 8 engine and slush-o-matic transmission. Took forever to get away from a stop light but would wind and wind and wind as it built up speed. I don't think that straight 8 had a top end RPM limit. I never had the courage to just let it go, always chickened out about 100 mph. Like the picture but a light blue.

Attachments

• 48 olds.jpg
    48 olds.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 14
Mine was a '59 T-Bird that my dad bought as a "restoration" project to keep me out of trouble in high school. Turns out the only restoring it needed was mufflers and new upholstery, neither of which we did ourselves. Also turns out it didn't keep me that much out of trouble. Did you know that a '59 T-Bird rides real smooth on rutted dirt roads at about 65 - 70 mph? :rolleyes: Finally wore out the automatic tranmsmission by bottoming it out on the ground one too many times.

First one I bought myself was a '74 Chevy Suburban with a 454, a 4-barrel, and a BAD drinking habit. (About 4 to 6 mpg.)

My first car was a '61 Chevy Impala 2dr HT. Blue with blue interior. Only had it about a year, from the time I graduated HS until I went in the Army. Saved most of my money in the Army and bought a '66 Riviera when I got back from 'Nam.

That was one sweet ride. 425 C.I., 425 HP and about 16 MPG around town, if I kept my foot out of it. Got 21-24 MPH driving it from NJ to SoCal in '68. On one stretch of Texas highway I buried the needle on the speedo. The speedo went to 155. I figure even with the error I was probably going around 130-140. It was surprisingly stable at that speed. Of course you could watch the gas gage go down at that speed. Really not much like the sound of a Rochester 4 barrel carb wide open, sucking in all that air. Wish I still had that car.

Karl

Gee, I've lead a boring life for a motorhead - '74 Ford Maverick 2dr - 200 six 3 on the tree. Couldn't kill it no matter what I did - and nobody else could borrow it because they didn't know how to drive stick on the column!:thumb:
First I bought was a '71 Maverick 4dr - 302 auto.;) It was beige, had the compass in the front window and the little chrome shades over the door windows. Can you say "sleeper"?:rolleyes: Never got a ticket in that car - though I should have.:eek:

Wes