What was your first prank?

Bob Spare

We lived on 17 acres in a small town called Howell, Mi.

When I was about 8 my cousin came to visit me from Detroit and spend a couple of days. He was about 2 years older than me.

But it only took one day to get into trouble.

Important info for the story

1.) Dad had a Model A that he converted into a farm tractor.
2.) Had a hen house with about 200 chickens, sold eggs to a store.
3.) Had a cow for milk.

Now here we go.

My cousin and I played war...............
We took an ax to that (tractor), it was enemy tank.
done a good job of making sure that enemy tank would
never attack anyone.

Same Day.

Got into the ememy ammo dump (coop) and gather up all the hand gernades (eggs) we could carry.

We used those on the enemy (cow) made sure he wouldnt come across the divide enemy line.

But in the end we lost the war.......the enemy attacked us with a belt, was in the hospital for a week.

:( :( :( :( :(

i`ll tell a story on my father since he`s no longer with us.
he`d been working on my uncles farm raising hogs all through high school saving money for his first "real" car.
after graduation he was still short of the funds for the car he wanted so off he went to the local bank for a loan..........loan denied!
now dad was one who didn`t like being told no, so next weekend on friday night, he drove his old farm truck to the bank and placed several dead baby pigs in the night deposit box and their dead mother in the foyer:eek: ......come monday the bank officials had a very smelly situation on their hands........
immagine the ruckus that would cause in todays world!

Think I mentioned this on another thread.....

Convinced my cousin that rabbit poop was really chocolate covered smart pills....he was smarter, after eating them.:rofl:

The earliest one I remember ... hmm... I'm not sure which of these was first, but they were all around the same time...

I used to stay over at my Grandmother's fairly often when i was about 4 or 5. Her house had a finished basement with lots of room to run around. They also had a pool table down there.

I had discovered scissors recently and decided to cut the edge felt all the way around ... to see what was inside, of course!

That one led to one of the very few bare-butt spankings i'd gotten...

Similar to when I cut my aunt's alarm clock cord with a needlenose pliers that were near by ... WHILE IT WAS PLUGGED IN!!! The spark was neat, i didn't get shocked, thankfully, until after gramma came home! :p

My aunt found a stray cat at Target one day and decided to bring her home. Gramma already had a black male cat and it was fun to watch them fight for territory. Well one day, the new cat was having babies (they must have made up) and we all marvelled at the number of cats. Unfortunately, there was one who was a runt. He didn't live very long, and was buried out in the back yard.

Well we had a sandbox out there and I was playing with my cousins one day. We got to talking about that runt ... and I missed him. So ... i took my shovel and pulled up a half-decomposed kitty and brought him inside to ask grampa to fix it.

I think that pretty much covers my stays at gramma's house. :p

Well, this wasn't my first, but it still is the best I think I was a part of.

High school. SoCal. Long Beach to be exact. Senior year as I recall. There were 4 or 5 of us that always hung out together. We used to cruise late at night through neighborhoods looking for cars that people had left unlocked. This was '64/'65 so the steering and tranny [on automatics] wouldn't lock up with the key off.

After we found one unlocked we'd push it around the block just out of site of the owners house. We figured whoever it was would probably go ballistic when they came out and found their car gone. And after the cops found it just around the corner, perhaps they would accuse the owner of just forgetting where he had parked the night before. :)

Well, one night there were 6 of us wandering around looking for something to do. One of the perps [not me] suggested that we look for a VW Bug in front of a house with a porch big enough to hold the car. Finding the porch wasn't too hard. These were mostly post WWII homes with big front porches.

We found one and the 6 of us proceeded to lift that VW Bug onto the porch. So here it sat about 3' or so above ground level on the front porch of what we hoped was the VW's owner. Oh, to have had a digital camera back then.

We wanted to go back the next day to see the reaction of the owner and how they were going to get it off the porch, but somehow we were smart enough to stay away.:D

We had a blast doing those kinds of things, but one thing we never did was destroy or damage anyones property. :thumb: Move it maybe, but not damage it. :rofl:

Perhaps I've given out too much information. :eek: I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out hasn't it?? ;) :D

Karl

Last edited:
I was a pretty young lad and my older brother and I scrapped like all siblings do. It didn't take me to long to realize that all I had to do was say "Mean old Bu-Bubba." and my mother would come in and dribble him around the room for a while. :rofl:
I liked that idea and used it often. One day I tried it "Mean old Bu-Bubba." Magically, my mother appeared at the door way to the livingroom. She had a funny look on her face. I'm glad we had a small place looking back, less walls to bounce me off of. You see, Mean old Bu-Bubba wasn't home at the time. :rofl:

DT

I didn't have the good fortune to grow up in the country [like my own kids have], so my pranks were more city based.

My best friend, Mark, and I made what pranks we could.

Well, we got one of them new tape recorders [they were new then]. And we taped the following:

"Aunt Doris, your pot roast is quite delicious. What do you put in it?"

We then went to poor Aunt Doris, and asked her:
"we're taking a survey. What is usually in a week's worth of your garbage?"

You can imagine how the recording sounded. I guess we both missed our callings. We coulda been politicians. BTW, Mark and I are still best friends.

Ken

Hey Tod,

Your story about your Dad reminds me of some urban legend I've heard - if you get mad, really mad at a bank, rent a safe deposit box. Then leave a dead fish in it.

I loved your Dad's story. May his memory be honored.

Ken

Don's story reminds me of one we played on my sister. (Steve, if you read this, you'll remember. ) She was always getting into arguments with our mother and then going off to her room, slamming the door as she went in. The window in her bedroom must have been a 40" wide double hung. It had a roller shade over it. Steve or I would sneak in there and wind the spring up on that shade so it only took a breath of air...or a slamming door to trip it and make it go firing up to the top.

Wap, wap, wap. :rofl:

Then in the fall when it was getting dark early, a bunch of us guys would go down the street with half of us on one side and half on the other. We'd wait for a car to come speeding along and we'd strike poses like we were playing tug-o-war across the street. The driver would see us almost too late and slam on his brakes. We'd high tail it for the bushes. Of course there was no rope. :D

There were a lot of stupid things done during my misspent youth that would best be forgotten. (Like paint-bombing the neighbor's house, using a prescription medicine bottle...with my home address on it.) :doh:

Most of my good practical jokes were done as an adult. Once while working on a construction project out of town, a couple co-workers broke into my motel room while I was out eating dinner and "shaving creamed" the whole room. They put shaving cream on everything, including the pillow on the bed. Later that night, I rigged up a 5-gallon bucket on a 4-foot board, filled the bucket with water, and leaned it against the inward-opening door to their room (next door to mine). The next morning I was still in bed when I heard their door open, then a loud splooshing sound, then a very loud string of obscenities, ending with my name. :D The guy who opened the door was soaked, and had to change clothes before going to work. They didn't mess with my room after that, though.

Another time on that same job, I helped set up the same guy (Mark, the water-splash victim) for another prank. I took him out to lunch, and insisted that I drive, so his pickup would stay on the jobsite. While we were gone, my co-conspirator Max lined the bed of Mark's truck with plastic, then filled it with water. When we came back from lunch, Max was standing in the bed of the truck fly fishing, complete with waders and fishing vest. Did you know that a bed full of water will pretty much bottom out the springs on a half-ton GMC? :p

Another prank that still makes me smile was a couple years ago on SMC, when on April 1st I posted a a bunch of pics of my "kitchen remodel". (Actually pics of two separate kitchens, neither of which I built.) Even though I wrote a ridiculous description (recycled pallet wood and schlamaca doors & drawers, for example), there were a lot of people who congratulated me on the kitchen...for months afterwards, even after I explained later in the thread that it was all a ruse.

I have a friend who was the king of the practical joke. One night he wired a dozen #25 flashbulbs together and connected them to the dome light contacts in a friend's car. This friend happened to be getting himself blitzed in a bar at the time. The friend came out to his car and opened the door which set off this blinding flash. He immediately collapsed on the ground. It took everyone about an hour to convince him he hadn't died. :rofl:

This same friend took the little music thing out of a greeting card (do they still make those cards? and replaced the little button cell with a D-cell battery. Then he hid it deep in a frined's linen closet under the towels. You could only hear the thing at night when it was quiet. Even your own moving around made it impossible to hear. Every night after this fellow crawled into bed he could here this music. It took him over a year to find the music maker.

:D :rofl:

My Freshman year in HS, we had two new women teachers (in our small rural town), and the older of the two was Fat, wore a Butch Haircut, had a voice like a Drill Sargeant and a personality like a Rattlesnake. She was constantly badgering us students, especially all boys, and was not liked much by ANY of the other teachers, (except her younger room-mate), so before we departed for a weekend livestock judging contest trip to Tx A&M, a group of us picked her new Rambler American car up and placed it parallel to and against the school's rock fence, But located very snugly between two normally parked cars that belonged to the two male teachers that were going on the two day trip with us.:D There was no wrecker service there so she got to WALK everywhere for two days. She was so hostile about it, that after that we would just pick it up and hang the front wheels over the 3' tall rock fence EVERY time we left on a School Bus for an AG event, Ball Game etc.

The pranks worked, as she did not renew her contract for the next year, and the amazing thing was that NOT ONCE did any of the other Teachers OR Administrators ever try to catch us or even mention it to us. I guess they thought our Pranks were in reality a "Community Service".:D

We lived on 17 acres in a small town called Howell, Mi.
1.) Dad had a Model A that he converted into a farm tractor.

:( :( :( :( :(

Bob, that's interesting, because my dad bought some steel "C" channel, a Heavy Truck rear end and transmission and was slowly collecting the remainder of the parts to build his own tractor, when he came across a home built tractor made from a Model "T", so he bought it for his first tractor. It had a 4 speed truck transmission mounted between the Model "T's" bellhousing with the three pedals in it, and a truck rear end . We farmed with it for several years before buying a 1 row Allis Chalmers, at which point I got to disassemble the old homebuilt tractor so Dad could sell the parts, except for the wooden boxed coils which I used to make three Hotshot Cattle Prods, (kept one and sold two) . Our last tractor was a two row Case.

This maybe an urban myth, or maybe it rally happened but I worked with a guy who once worked for a truck dealership. He claimed that they had a truck that had this clunk in it on take off and while stopping. It was brand new and they could not find the problem until he rode in the bed of the truck for a bit. That was when he heard the clunk and where the clunk was coming from. He cut apart the frame and found an empty coke bottle with a note in it.

"Finally found the problem huh?" it said, obviously by some pranksters at the factory.

I am not convinced it was true, but that would be a tough repair to diagnose if it did happen.

Some of my best ones where from my trucking days.

3 of us loaded guard rail for Philly one afternoon. Myself and Hollywood took off in the early evening so we could get a good nap down there. The other drive (who no one liked) left late at night and showed up just in time the next morning. Well the way it worked out he had to pull out of the lot first to go out to the job site, so he got unloaded first. well ole Hollywood and I thought that wasn't quite fair. So as soon as he went in search of job site john, I popped off the air supply line to the trailer, stuck a quarter in it and put it back on. Needless to say he now couldn't release the brakes and was stuck there. Hollywood and I got unloaded and left the clown sitting there trying to figure out what was wrong. :D Took him 3 hours to find it and boy was he mad!!

Another time My brother and I had some space rented next to a local truck stop for a trailer drop. We had these two clowns that showed up every week and dropped their reefer trailers there. We had room to spare but the always managed to block in at least one trailer. I came in one night to drop and hook and the trailer I needed was blocked in. So I hooked on to the first reefer, my nephew showed up, I had him hook to the other one. We drug them down the road 3 miles to the Petro and dropped them. The next morning the cops where all over looking for two trailer loads of meat. :D They never did drop trailers there again.

Then we had a clown that was always dropping his trailer right in the driveway by the fuel islands. Made it right difficult to get to the fuel pumps. So I took to winding his landing gear up every time I saw it sitting there. Do you have any idea how hard it is to crank the landing gear back down so you can get the trailer high enough to hook up when theres a 48,000 pound coil sitting in the middle of the trailer? Word got around if he didn't quit dropping his trailer there it would keep up. He found some place else to drop his trailer. :rofl:

Some of my best ones where from my trucking days.
Must be something about truckers........

I can't remember my first prank, but I do remember that my best were when I was driving.

In the early 70's I ran a regular VA to Boston route twice per week. Everyone did, except Crazy John - he ran three a week! He was an OK guy and most people liked him, they just never got to see him very often.

One late night, while on the way back from Boston, several of us met at a truck stop in NJ. We saw John sleeping over the wheel of his rig out in the lot. Now, everyone knows that one of the biggest fears a driver has is falling asleep at the wheel. Knowing this, we came up with a very mean scheme for a prank.

We very carefully, and as quietly as possible, backed one of our rigs up till the back of the trailer was only about 1 foot from John's Mack cab-over. We set the lights to flashing, walked down to the driver's door on Johns tractor, and landed some very strong and loud fist-poundings on John's door. John immediately awoke and had the predictable reaction. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do you know how hard it is to turn the wheels of a fully loaded 1969 Mack truck all the way to lock while standing still???:dunno: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

John didn't like us for a while.;)

Must be something about truckers........

I think your right! :D

One of my nephews worked at a place that had a mechanic, who was a real jerk. His favorite prank was grease on the inside of the door handle. He did it to Jon one too many times. He came in one morning and his truck was sitting in the garage, grabbed the handle and got greased. My nephew not to be outdone went and found the guys toolbox. Rolled that nice shiny snap on box over to the service bay. Grabbed the ninety weight pump, held the nozzle against the seams and filled every drawer with 90 weight :D

It took the mechanic 2 days of his own time to get it cleaned. That was the end of greasing door handles.

We got Jon good when he first started driving. You have to understand, when he first started driving he was a newlywed.He was the most pure naive soul you ever met.
Over the years my brother and I got to know a few of the DOT cops around the area.
One was Janet. Big old gal. She must have been 6 foot 4 or 5. And just as ugly as a mud fence. But she had a heart of gold and man was she a comedian.

We got her to stop him one day just as he was pulling in the truck stop. She went over his truck wrote him a pile of tickets on an old ticket book. Then as she hands him the tickets she starts flirting with him, telling him thats a big sleeper on that truck and theres a way he could "fix" these tickets. Of course since she stopped him right at the truck stop it drew a small crowd of the regulars. My brother and I couldn't stand it any longer and we lost it. He's standing there with this stack of tickets trying to figure out why we are all laughing at him, you could see the light slowly getting brighter as he realized he had been had. He wasn't impressed to say the least.

Have to add.

I was in the Air Force in my youth and lived in the dorms. Our particular one had a central bay with six rooms around it. And a bathroom with two showers.

We each had a mini-fridge in our room and quite often we would pour a jug of ice water over the shower curtain. :eek: :eek:

But the best was my snake. Poor thing died. So I coiled it in one of the showers! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't know that this qualifies as a prank, but it sure was fun to do. A little history:
When I was a teenager my parents rented a bedroom out to a series of pairs of Mormon Missionaries. They had a room in the attic and we shared our kitchen and some of the 'common areas' of the house with them. (23 rooms with 5 bedrooms, we had some spare space) They were ideal tenants, and we wound up with 80 some odd 'Elders' living with us over the span of 10 years. My folks and I were not members of their church, though we respected their beliefs, the 'agreement' was they didn't 'tract' us, and we wouldn't try and sway the young men from their Mission.

The Elders had one day off every week where they would do their laundry, grocery shopping, go to the gym, that sort of thing. One afternoon our doorbell rang, and Elder 'Smith' answered the door. There was a trio of Jehovah's Witnesses who wanted to share their faith, Elder smith was in his jeans and a polo shirt, not in 'uniform' so to speak. He invited them in, while I dashed upstairs to get his partner, who brought down some of their own pamphlets. They very politely listened to the 'competition' give their speech. When the trio were just about done, Elder Smith asked if they had ever considered a different path, and proceeded to offer his testimony to them. The trio gasped, excused themselves and just about Ran out of the house. The two Elders and I were left sitting in the living room laughing over the shocked expressions and rapid departure. Nothing that either Elder or I said was at all inconsiderate, but you'd have thought that we had spoken in tongues that summer afternoon.
The real kicker was that for over a decade our house was 'marked', and whenever our neighborhood was canvassed, we never had anyone attempt to visit.

This one happened about 5 years ago.

I was in a class with a retired master sargent from the New Zealand Air Force. He's the lead engineer for our employer on the South Island of New Zealand..their manager is in Australia. His first name is Ken ...

One morning Ken was a little late to lab. He explained, whined and complained..The night before he had to walk from the condos to the school about 9:00 at night to use the phones in the student center. They were doing the review of an engineer who worked for him. Their manager had flown from Australia to New Zealand to do this guys review. Ken wanted RIchard fired as he wasn't getting the job done and had no intentions of doing so. They put Ken on a speaker phone at the other end so it meant he could only hear about 70% of what was being said and the guy showed up for the meeting with his soliciter...his lawyer.....Ken ranted and raved that Richard was a low lying ___. Ken's behavior continued all morning during lab. This happened about the time the Bud commercial came out with the guy saying "I love you man!"

That afternoon I went to the restroom. As I passed the student lounge, I picked up the phone and called the front desk at the condos. I told them I wanted to leave a message for a guest there....His name Ken _____. I said just say "I love man!" and sign it "Richard". Now previously when I stayed there if you got a phone message ...you had a blinking red light on your telephone when you returned to your room that evening. You'd call the front desk and they would read it to you. Unknown to me, they'd installed a computerized system and a monitor in the student lounge in the school which is located 1/2 mile from the condos and the messages appeared on the monitor.

About 1/2 hour after I returned to the lab, Ken went to the restroom and stopped in the student lounge....There on the monitor was my message.......for eveybody to see.....

He returned to the lab and shouted...."All right! Which of you bloody bas____s did it?"............

Ken and I exchanged gifts for a couple of years after that and in fact, I'm going to New Zealand in 2008 to visit him...god willing....

Last edited: