Brazilian Cherry

Shawn Lakes

This is the first bowl that I have made with a collar. After looking back at it I probably shouldn't have even put it on there. Oh well to late now. The bowl is about 6" tall and 8" across. It is Brazilian Cherry with a Canary Wood collar. I finished it with Antique Oil and Minwax wax. I did learn that I should polish the inside before I put the collar on it next time. It doesn't look like I did anything to the inside from the pics. Comments and critiques are welcome so that I can do it better in the future.

Attachments

• 100_0283.jpg
    100_0283.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_0286.jpg
    100_0286.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 27
Shawn nice looking bowl and collar. If you make the hole in the collar small enough, folks have a harder time determining the finish on the inside.

How was the Brazilian cherry for turning? I just received a piece recently and have never turned that wood.

Nice job, Shawn. :clap: The only way to learn what you do and don't like is to try lots of different things and see which of them appeal to you. I agree with you that the bowl probably didn't need the collar, but until you try it, how do you know? ;)

I've not turned any Brazilian cherry (a.k.a. jatoba), but I've done some flatwork with it. Real good-looking stuff, but pretty hard and brittle. I'll bet it was a challenge to turn it.

The wood was easy to turn but it did dull my tools quick. The only real problem that I had was sanding it. It had a couple of scratched areas from me dropping it when I was taking it off of the chuck. The stuff doesn't sand easily. Thanks for the comments.