Probably easy but.....

Aaron Beaver

....I don't know how to do it or I am going about it wrong. So in Sketch Up I want to draw a round table top, but I want to show the individual boards.

So I thought I could draw the individual boards next to each other like they would be glued then draw a circle on top of them and the use push pull to take away what would be gone after I cut it out. That didn't work, so what do I need to do.

Thanks

oh, yeah, the reason I want to do this is so I can try diffent methods of joining the boards and maybe see what they would look like.

Aaron, how do you want to attack this one? There are several ways. Perhaps the easiest would be to draw the boards and make them individual components. Place them next to each other as needed and draw the circle over them. Then edit the components and trace the portion of the circle that crosses that component. Use Push/Pull to eliminate the waste. If you were to start with a series of boards next to each other you could make corresponding boards related components so you only need edit one half of the table. If the boards are arranged radially, you might get by with copying the first board component as needed and editing that one. All the others would get the same treatment.

If you want pictures, let me know and I'll zip something out for you.

p.s If no one helps you out? Och, Frank, why wouldn't someone help him out here. ;)

Dave's got you covered, here, for sure.

The tricky bit is keeping the individual boards seperate from each other. It's easy if you don't want to play with each board after you've made the circle. In that case, you wouldn't have to make each board a component, just place 'em side by side - they'll snap together into one solid shape - but then you can just draw your circle and it'll do the same. Then you just have to either push/pull the extra stuff out of the way or just delete the outside stuff.

It's an interesting one ... i think tracing the arcs are the only way to do it if they're components, like dave said. :)

I shouldn't have been giving advice last night. I was too tired to think straight.:eek:

Interesect with model will work. I'm processing a video demo to explain as I type this. as soon as it is uploaded to Brightcove, I'll post the link.

Aha! I hadn't realized you could do intersect with model that way - i've been selecting the element i want to do the intersection (in this case the cylinder) and then had to go in and trace. Yet another span of immeasurable time saved by Dave! :p

Hey Dave,
Just went over to Bright cove once more. Your work is just marvelous. You have such a broad range of knowledge. I don't watch but about maybe 2 hours of tv a week. I would rather watch your videos! All I need is a 62" plasma to view them from my bed:D :rofl: . Seriously you are offering such great guidance. Thanks,
Shaz