Progression pics of n.e bowls

Two ne's that I turned out of this piece of maple burl.

Attachments

• maple burl (600 x 400).jpg
    maple burl (600 x 400).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 33
  • birdseye maple burl bowl lg (600 x 400).jpg
    birdseye maple burl bowl lg (600 x 400).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 32
  • birdseye maple burl bowl small (600 x 400).jpg
    birdseye maple burl bowl small (600 x 400).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 23
  • bowls back in burl (600 x 400).jpg
    bowls back in burl (600 x 400).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 37
That is one heck of a nice piece of wood Jerry, and boy did you do it right! :clap:

VERY nice Natural Edge bowls for sure, they almost look like flowers of some sort! :thumb:

That last shot is really cool, really shows how you did it, so to speak, thanks for sharing those with us! :D

Cheers!

BTW, did you ever get your WoodCraft slow speed grinder sorted out?

Stu,
I never did order the balancing kit though I plan on doing so. I've been on a pen making kick and have been investing in kits, trimmers, a press, 60 degree live center, a set of Rex and Kip turning tools, etc... These two bowls are the first I've turned in a while so I really haven't needed the grinder as I sharpen my pen tools via Scary Sharp. i do believe that I do have an issue as it just simply bounces more than I think it should as I'm sharpening.

I missed these earlier today, Jerry. Very nice bowls. :thumb: Real pretty piece of burl, and you did a great job with it. I really like the texture of the natural edge...nice and smooth. What are the dimensions? What finish did you use?

I turned a piece of madrone burl today that had a lot of nice bumpy exterior, but it had been dipped in paraffin so thick I didn't think I'd be able to get it off the wood. I ended up cutting or turning the bumpy stuff away on that piece, although I still may try to play a bit with the scrap cut-offs.

Thanks everyone.
Vaughn,
The burl had been sealed with something, poly or something, many years ago and I just left the surface texture alone. The darker bowl is finished with blo and Deft semi-gloss, the lighter one is simply finished with my pen turners friction polish. I think I just got lazy with that one:eek: . The small bowl is about 4 1/2" x 5" and the other is slightly larger.

Beautiful Jerry. I'm gonna be trying some of that ,,,,soon.

Question, Just what part of the tree is that wood from? :dunno: Roots area? :huh: I need to find some of that around here but I don't know, Yet, what to look for. See, I am not of the "turner class" yet. :rofl: I'm just beginning to ask the right questions. :eek: All help will be greatly appreciated. :thumb: I also ordered a couple turning books, to give me some "Book Larnin".:rolleyes:

Aloha, Tony (on the slightly less expensive island of Oahu):D