Project China cabinet.

Bart Leetch

In the picture you'll see the only place left in my apartment where I can store any more fancy dishes oh yes I have more most of which were my Mothers. I still have 3 sets of china 2 from my Mother & 1 from my Grandmother & a 2 set of silverware.

The area above the piano is about 34" high x 5'6" long &
20" deep.

What I am considering is a cabinet that will pretty much fill this area with 3 wood framed glass doors & 3 drawers underneath that at a later date can be put above a lower base cabinet to make a complete china hutch if I use pocket screws to fasten the face frame on or build it without a face frame & later when I reconstruct run the end pieces of the base cabinet on up to support this as the top it add a face frame.

So advice & or suggestions are needed.

Thanks.

Attachments

• China cabinet.jpg
    China cabinet.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 50
In the picture you'll see the only place left in my apartment where I can store (Hi Bart. :wave: You just mentioned the word "store" so I am assuming that much will be out of view.) any more fancy dishes oh yes I have more most of which were my Mothers. I still have 3 sets of china 2 from my Mother & 1 from my Grandmother & a 2 set of silverware.

The area above the piano is about 34" high x 5'6" long &
20" deep.

What I am considering is a cabinet that will pretty much fill this area with 3 wood framed glass doors & 3 drawers underneath that at a later date can be put above a lower base cabinet to make a complete china hutch if I use pocket screws to fasten the face frame on or build it without a face frame & later when I reconstruct run the end pieces of the base cabinet on up to support this as the top it add a face frame. If you are going to spend the time, effort and money to make this a beautiful display case, even for just now, then I suggest you do an aesthetic "view and size" plan for the complete hutch. This can be modified later.
Of the 34" in height, how much do you envision as drawer front coverage? Then, door front minus rails= the glass (visibility of displayed objects), and the crown, that area which allows the eye to rest as it exits the cabinet upward?
Will it sit on the piano?
20" is good for drawers, rather deep for display.

So advice & or suggestions are needed.

Thanks.
Hi Bart,:wave:
This beginning time in the formulation of the project can be great fun.
Do you do Sketch Up?

Shaz