Burn or No Burn?

Should I Burn the Lip of this Hollow Form?

• No, leave it as-is

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Yes, burn the lip

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • Heck, burn the whole thing and try again

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Quick opinion check...burn the lip on this piece or no? As I mentioned in another thread, I've already rounded the chamfer that was on the inside of the rim (not shown in these older pics), but now I'm trying to decide whether to blacken the flat part on the outside of the rim with a woodburner. Here's a quick & dirty Photoshop comparison:

Side by Side LR.jpg

Which do you prefer?

At first I was going to say no to burning-- but after seeing the pics the black line accentuates the rim and highlights the spalting -- BUT I think it is too wide as shown in the pic. How's that for a definitive maybe?

Unless you thin the edge -- I'd say no burn. It's a close call. (BTW, I'm the no vote because there was not MAYBE))

Last edited:
Vaughn,

I voted yes, but...

There's this sign I want to hang in my shop. Maybe I can get Nancy to laser one... ;) It should say " Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien, mais le pire est l'ami de l'excès." Translated into english, it means "wow, that piece is really cool, and finished, really. But if I just do this one more thing to it, it will be Hypercool, and harmony and beauty will reign throughout the realm..."

Ouch. I've messed up more things that way! ;) On the other hand, we're all still learning, right? So if you've never done anything like burning a rim before, I say "Get out the torch!" ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
There's this sign I want to hang in my shop. Maybe I can get Nancy to laser one... ;) It should say " Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien, mais le pire est l'ami de l'excès." Translated into english, it means "wow, that piece is really cool, and finished, really. But if I just do this one more thing to it, it will be Hypercool, and harmony and beauty will reign throughout the realm..."Bill

Bill, bring it on. I'll laser just about anything you wanna throw at me. ;)

Vaughn, I'm a purist--I voted no (the second "no") because I think that the beauty of the wood and the form and finish speak for themselves on this piece, without the necessity for embellishment. My general feeling about pyrography, blackening, lines--anything of that sort--is that those things are best reserved for relatively plain woods such as maple, cherry, and walnut without a lot of figure, just grain. When you start using highly figured woods--burls, spalts, curly, quilted, bird's eye--the beauty of the wood stands out on its own. Embellishment is just overkill.

I think it's just right the way it is.

Just my 1.98, for what it's worth.

Nancy

Last edited:
Burn it.

why?

because it creates definition,

It would even be more impressive if you could do a pin striped burn on that collar.

totally understated and refined against the randomness of the "veining" in the wood.

I don't like the burn, or at least as you have shown it.

An accent like that should add to the piece, not be come the focal point, which it does, in this case, to my eye.

Two or three nice thin burn lines might look nice.....:wave:

Something like this, but with better exicution.... :eek:

burn_baby_burn.jpg
(far right)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Well, between this poll, one on another site, and LOML's opinion (which counts for at least 40% of the vote), I'm going to leave this one as-is. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I've got another piece finished up that I did burn, and I'll post pics of it once I set up the photo tent and take a few pics. ;)

Well, between this poll, one on another site, and LOML's opinion (which counts for at least 40% of the vote), I'm going to leave this one as-is. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I've got another piece finished up that I did burn, and I'll post pics of it once I set up the photo tent and take a few pics. ;)

Take some pics of you photo tent set up and share that too please! :wave:

Your pics are always so great, I need to improve that part of my woodturning! :rolleyes: :D

Hey Vaughn, are you using a torch to burn the edges? I was just wondering if you could use hot sand like is used for shading veneer for marquetry??? It seems like that may give more control on the shade of the burn.

Hi Vaughn, Just bouncing in with my first look and an opinion even after the votes have been tallied :D . I think Stu's option of the two thin burns reflect the dainty linear spalting that is naturally occuring. I was actually thinking (before I got to stu's post) that if you burn the top you need to burn a line some where else too, in order to add some semblance of balance, (Youknow,likeyouhaveinyourlife.:D ):rofl:
IF you burn, I believe it needs be very crisp.
Good work.
Shaz

I voted

"Burn the whole thing"

Reason being is I am not a spinny guy..................NOT YET
down the road.

Wow, Vaughn. I'm too late for the poll but I'd say burn it.

My first reaction when I read the question and looked at the form in the thumbnail was "No". But the second pic really looks good. Very nice touch in this case.