Shop arrangement question

Jeff Horton

Not sure where to post this?

I am still working on the rearrangement of my shop. Having a large shop can be just as hard to arrange as a small one believe it or not!

This is my storage corner for lack of a better term. My lumber rack is actually a double sided grocery store shelf. Shelves on one side and I store sheet goods on the other. This thing will hold an amazing amount of weight! Now if I could just find a 2 more shelves for it.

Here is my current arrangement. But keep in mind that there is a lot of 'stuff" that isn't shown in the drawing. So there is not as much open space as it appears. I still have some stuff to ad the skectchup model. This corner gets cluttered fast!
shop2.jpg

The problem now is there is always something in the floor in front of the rack. BTW the cabinets shown on the right side are actually shelf units. I didn't find a shelf unit and to lazy to draw one. The problem with this arrangement is it hard to get to the wood rack because of the 'stuff' laying around. The biggest problem is access to the sheet goods. Since they are against the wall it get full fast with cut offs. Because of this and access problems I end up with wood scattered all around.

What I am thinking about doing is turning the wood rack 90 degrees as shown in this picture. I think it allow better access to the rack. Lumber slides in and out from the end. There is access to the front of the rack so I can sort through the boards. Plywood would be simple to access on the other side. It might be better turned 180 with the ply against the shelves?

shop1.jpg

I am getting rid of a LARGE conference table that is currently in the shop in between the post and the wall. With this free space I was thinking of moving my planer and jointer over here near the lumber rack. I drive my truck in the garage door to the right. So wood comes off and into the rack. It slides out out the rack straight to my saws which are out of view. So the flow is good.

Now, any input or ideas? I don't want to unload and load this woodrack twice!! I want to get it right the first time!

Last edited:
jeff, it`s really dificult for me to get a mental picture of what you`re trying to accomplish:eek: ......maybe it`s this darn flu bug? i`d offer advice if i could but i`m just not getting it right now........sorry.....tod

Thanks Tod. I hate the flu!

I just posted a shop tour and you can see it all. But I have about decided to move the rack as shown. While I was working last night in the shop I kept looking and thinking about it. I have found several advantages to this arragment so I am pretty sure I am going to do it. Just dread unloading and reloading all that lumber I just bought!

Not that anyone was really interested but I did move the rack and I love it!! It opened up a lot of space and now I can get to all my plywood. I had it scattered all over the shop and got it in the rack now. Now I see I have save to much and need to get rid of some of it too!

I was thinking about replacing the grocery store shelve but now I like it!! And it opened up wall space and gives me a place to put some of less used tools. Now they have a home!

100_6657.JPG

But, Jeff, I think you've uncovered another problem. Look at those shop speakers! They're crowded together up there on those shelves. Terribly inefficient. You might want to look at getting them mounted up in two corners of the shop to give you a fuller sound.

Yeah, uh-huh. :headbang:

Art, if you were ever allowed to see my Super Secret list of "things to do" you see item # c25 is to build two speaker stands. With the subnote Spread them out when mounting to give a fuller sound :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

But of course no one is allowed to see the list. I am afraid they might add something to it!!