BURNING ON SPALTED MAPLE

Brian Buckley

I continue to get burning while routing a 1/4 round over on a spalted maple table top. It does not seem to matter what my speed is. Any advice would be appreciated. This is starting do drive me batty.

Brian

Bit sharp?

Try climb cutting the first initial pass, then a forward cleanup, finish pass.

where the bit compresses the wood fibers instead of tearing them........not the "safest" method but it sure saves on wood.....if you`re holding the router and routing the right side of a board you`d pull the router toward you instead of pushing it as we where all tought.....tod

lee, i`ve had much better luck on cherry when back-routing(climb cutting) in regards to burning....it`s been my experience that burning occurs when the bit is in contact with the wood longer than it takes to remove a chip.....when back routing the router is trying to pull itself out of the cut instead of into it so the likelyhood of the bit remaining in contact with the board once the chip has been removed is somewhat reduced......make sense?

lee, i`ve had much better luck on cherry when back-routing(climb cutting) in regards to burning....it`s been my experience that burning occurs when the bit is in contact with the wood longer than it takes to remove a chip.....when back routing the router is trying to pull itself out of the cut instead of into it so the likelyhood of the bit remaining in contact with the board once the chip has been removed is somewhat reduced......make sense?
My head hurts.:p