New additions

M Toupin

Figured I'd show off the latest old arn additions. First is a Model 30 Powermatic 12" Disk / 6X48 belt sander Manufactured in 1974. A school auction find which was in fairly good shape to start with, but it got a complete sandblast, paint and bearing job to bring it back to like new condition. Only downside is the fence was missing. Powermatic is really proud of those fences so I fabed up a corian facsimile which has worked out nice.
Dsc00223.jpg

Second is a Walker Turner 14" wood & metal bandsaw model BN905 which was Manufactured in the 3rd quarter 1951. the saw came with the CI base and belt guard which aren't in the pic as it was disassembled for transport. Unfortunately it's missing the original gearbox and only has a single speed pulley setup now. A bit disappointing, but I'll only be cutting wood with it so we'll live with it. It too will get a full restore consisting of a sandblast, paint and bearings. Then take it's place next to it's big brother the 16" WT. I plan on keeping a resaw blade on the 16" and a 3/8" or so on the 14" for day to day stuff.

The interesting thing about the 14" is it has aluminum doors, I've never heard of a WT BS with aluminum doors much less seen one!
Dsc00002.jpgMike

Very cool Mike, the PM looks like new and I'm sure the WT will too. Can you show more of your fence on the PM? I have thought of doing that on my older Delta sanding station. Does it adjust over the belt or stop at the edge?
Thanks

Mike,

I was eyeing a PM sander almost identical to this one you got, but they had the starting bid a bit high and nobody bid on it. It did come out of a school in California somewhere. The one I was eyeing was 3 phase, hence why I felt nobody bid on it.

Is your PM sander 1 or 3 phase?

Your fence looks nice!

Thanks all. Here's a little closer shot of the PM fence. The sander came with the bottom mounting bracket for the fence, but no fence. The fence slides back and forth across the width of the belt with the knob to lock it down. The fence rides about 1/8" above the belt.

Alan, the PM was originally 3ph, but I converted it to a 2hp single phase and just used two legs off the starter, a very easy refit. I kept the original 1.5 hp 3ph motor and will be using it with a VFD for variable speed on the WT 900 DP in the background.

Mike

Attachments

• Dsc00225.jpg
    Dsc00225.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 11