Proper Batt Insulation Method?

Does anyone know what the proper batt insulation method is?

I have always stapled the vapor barrier tabs on the inside of the stud rather then on the outside face of the studs. It can be a real pain though. I am careful the keep those tabs flush with the front of the stud so that I get about a half inch of air space between the vapor barrier and the wallboard once it is installed.

On every show I have ever seen on Flip this House, or Extreme Makeover, you always see the insulation stapled flat onto the studs. I thought there was supposed to be an air space just in front of the drywall? Personally I don't go through the hassle of stapling the insulation onto the sides of the studs for this reason. I think it holds the insulation back a bit and makes it easier to install drywall.

Still which method is better here?

Hold on their Tod, I have never heard of gluing drywall but I am all ears. Could you explain it to me? I assume you mean using construction adhesive to attach the drywall to the studs?

This is a very appealing idea!!

Staple the insulation on the 3 1/2" side of the stud using a staple hammer. It really isn't all the fussy of a job to do once you get into the swing of things I used to make $20 an hour at 1 cent per foot of insulation installed in walls & more at 1.5 cents per foot over head installation almost 30 years ago. If your using roll insulation cut to full length & press fit all pieces in a wall then go back & staple. If your using pre cut 4' batts do the same starting at the bottom this causes any cold air to flow up behind the top batt & not across the inside face of the top batt because your not overlapping the bottom bat over the face of the top batt, but are overlapping the top batt down over the front of the bottom batt.

Insulation manufacturers like Owens Corning recognize either method as being proper. I figure you get better vapor retardation with the tabs overlapped on the edge of the studs, though I've no idea whether its really important or not. Neither do I care much for the practice of gluing drywall to the studs, so there's no benifit (for me) to stapling to the wide face of the studs. However, I do recognize that I'm in the minority on this :eek: