Email hoax, possible virus warning

Mark Rios

I got this email this morniing. Two different ones actually. I've only included the text and NOT the link or the attachment (for obvious reasons).

-----------------------------------

Mail server report.

Our firewall determined the e-mails containing worm copies are being sent from your computer.

Nowadays it happens from many computers, because this is a new virus type (Network Worms).

Using the new bug in the Windows, these viruses infect the computer unnoticeably.
After the penetrating into the computer the virus harvests all the e-mail addresses and sends the copies of itself to these e-mail
addresses

Please install updates for worm elimination and your computer restoring.

Best regards,
Customers support service

----------------------------------------------

This email includes a zip file that no doubt contains a worm or virus of some kind. It shouldn't have any affect on Mac users but it's always a good idea to trash it anyway without openeing it. However, I'm not too sure how susceptible the new Intel chipped Macs are to PC virus's. Just don't open ANYTHING like this.

I'm sure that most all of us here are pretty savvy about emails like this but this is just a note of warning/caution that they are making the rounds. Again.

Last edited:
Mark,

The Intel based Macs are only suseptable to the common viruses when running Windows via Parallels, Boot Camp or other VM software.

I run XP on my iMac via Parallels, and have all the usual Anti-XXX software.:doh: Just make sure your Anti-XXX programs and definitions are up to date, and run them automatically or on a regular basis when using Windows.

OS X is still rock solid.