shopmade_faceplates.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 44
  • giving_a_hand.jpg
    giving_a_hand.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 64
  • unfinished_bowls.jpg
    unfinished_bowls.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 52
For a newbie, you are doing quite well! Very nice projects! I need to do more than pens on my lathe! Welcome to the Family!!! I hope to see many more of your projects!

You MADE the faceplates :eek:

A man after my own heart! :clap:

Everything looks great, but the best thing is the look on your son's face, and the look you your face, you guys are having fun, as a family! :thumb:

Fantastic!

I am proud of my children

Thanks for your kind comments.
I am attaching some pictures
of my children helping me
for setting the shop.

I want to ask you about
which method do you recommend
for the bowl finishing?

Saludos Cordiales
Alfredo

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 25
Those are great pictures of your kids, Alfredo. I see you had to be creative to get your shop set up. :)

There are many ways to finsh bowls...much would depend on what products you have available, and how shiny you want the bowls to look. I have been using a tung oil/varnish blend (sold here as Formby's Tung Oil Finish), but that is only one of many ways they can be done. For a non-shiny finish, you could do something simple like wiping them with mineral oil (although it would need to be re-done occasionally, since the oil will eventually dry out). For shiny finishes, there are many ways to go. Virtually any finish is "food safe" after it has cured, but there are several brands of "Salad Bowl Finish" that work well for bowls that will be used for food. Wipe-on polyurethane is another very popular finish. It is easy to use and it is durable. Some people just put a good coat of paste wax on their bowls, although it will not stand up to food use very well.

I hope this helps -

Gracias Vaughn

Vaughn
what does "cured" mean ?
Last weekend I have a word with a person who sell
bowl in Tepoztlan. I told him that I was going to finish them
using wiping poly technique. He told me that at the end I will be
eating some polyuretahane. He recommend me to use
johnson paste wax and olive oil. I am a little
confused. :huh:
Vaughn many thanks for your help.
Gracias
Alfredo

Alfredo, "cured" means the finish has completely dried and hardened. I know some people are afraid of eating the finish (like polyeurethane), but if it does happen, it is in very tiny amounts. (Personally, I'm not worried about this tiny amount.) For a bowl that us being used a lot (like every day) then it would probably be a good idea to avoid poly or any other finish that puts a film on the wood. Oil finishes (like mineral oil or olive oil) that soak into the wood and don't leave a film would be better.

The person in Tepoztlan gave good advice. Oil, followed by Johnson Paste Wax would work well. It might need to be refinished occasionally, but a little oil and wax, and the bowl would look like new again. Some people prefer mineral oil because sometimes when olive oil gets old it can spoil and smell bad, but olive oil works well. I suspect the Romans were using olive oil for wood treatment many many years ago, and it still works today. :)

Great Post Alfredo...

Hello Alfredo,

Thanks for sharing the photos of your children... :) It's always nice to see kids getting involved with woodturning! There's a nice article on my website about oil finishes and the protocols I use to apply oil finishes, check it out:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/oil-finish.html

This will give you a very in-depth look at various oils, how the cure and application tips.

Personally, I choose a finish based on it's ultimate use... Artistic bowls get different finishes than those designed to be used everyday as food bowls. It really depends on what the bowl will be used for... There are lots of finishes that will work on bowls, including oil based, shellac, water based, waxes, lacquers, binary epoxies, varnishes, and other solvent and water based finishes.

A quick and easy finish for food bowls is Walnut oil. If you want a solvent based oil finish, General's Salad Bowl Finish is excellent. Three coats will produce a very nice finish when buffed. Minwax #209 is another great finish, but it is more labor intensive to apply. Liberon Finishing Oil is a superb high build oil finish, but it will darken lighter woods like your White Cedar, unless you seal the wood first with lacquer or shellac.

Finishes cure differently, depending on whether they are evaporative, reactive or coalescing. When a finish "cures" it changes from a liquid state to a solid state in/on the wood. This is a basic definition for curing, without all of the chemistry behind the physical processes that take place. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Thanks Steve

Steve,
your info and your website are very interesting.
I need to read more about finishing.
Thanks Steve. :thumb:

Bart
I don´t have many construction pictures :( .
I am attaching one of my son helping me.
Saludos
Alfredo

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 11