Sharpening Station Stand

Stuart Ablett

I've been noodling this one for a long time (OK, sometimes I'm a bit slow), and this is what I came up with...........

grinder_stand1.JPG grinder_stand2.JPG grinder_stand3.JPG
Side.............Front...........Back

The old wheel will be filled with concrete, for weight, I don not expect to move it around much, so tilting it and rolling it on the wheel should be fine.
This is just the "Mock Up" stage, I've got some welding yet to do at this point in the build, but I wanted to see how it would "Balance" on the post.

I use the slow speed grinder, for sharpening my turning tools, among other things, and the older Delta high speed grinder for my brown Tripoli buffing and for honing on the MDF disk.

Let me make one thing very clear, with the MDF honing disk, the disk has to be traveling up, away from you, the exact opposite of a normal grinder, that is why it is mounted the way it is.

OK, on to the next phase.......

stand_frame.jpg
I welded up this frame to go under the grinders platform, I'll screw into the platform from underneath.

grinders_mounted.jpg
here is everything mounted up, good and solid.

support_bracket_close1.jpg support_bracket_close2.jpg
The vertical piece that the rear honing/buffing motor is mounted on, is screwed and glued the base platform, but I figured it would be better to also put some brackets on it, so I put these pieces of angle iron on, to make sure nothing can shake on me.

I tired it out, and I really like it, it gives me better access to the grinder for sharpening turning tools, but while it is not really "Top Heavy", it is quite stable, but, I'll still fill the wheel with concrete. I also expect to build a couple of small drawers under each side for the sundry things you need/want around a grinder.

Well, how'd I do..... :D

Cheers!

Stu that is a great idea. My granddad had one like that and put two concrete blocks on the rim. Worked good. I think yours with the concrete filling the rim will work fine and give you a lot of stability. Great job Stu.

Clever setup Stu, you’ve been giving that welder a workout.

Thanks!! :thumb:

Do you run the grinder without the side guards?
No I do not, they are off, as I have a hose connected to each, that connects to a pail of water and then a vacuum, I've got to do something about that yet.

How do you like the Oneway wheel balancers?

Very much like it some of the best money I've spent on turning. They made my el cheapo WC slow speed grinder runs super smooth, I'd buy them again in a heartbeat! :D

Very much like it some of the best money I've spent on turning. They made my el cheapo WC slow speed grinder runs super smooth, I'd buy them again in a heartbeat! :D

I love the way we get answers to questions even before we can ask them. I've wondered about those balancers. Thanks and the station looks like it will work out great in a very small footprint. Cool job.

Stu, my only concern with that set-up is that abrasive dust from the grinding wheels (especially when dressing the wheels) could contaminate the tripoli buff. Just a little bit of 60 or 120 grit could mess up a nice finish.

Ditto on the balancers. They improved my grinder a lot.