Legs using 45 deg cuts

Aaron Beaver

Here is a picture of a test I did, the test pieces are only about 6 inches long, where the real leg will be much longer.

As you can see there are some gaps along the 45's at the inside. I do believe this is from me not holding the piece tight enough against the fence.

Anyway the outsdie corners look fine and when I measured the diagonals they were spot on. Also the real legs will have splines in the 45's as well. Even with the mess up and since the inside will be hidden once done, do you think this would be okay if it happens on the larger legs. The other legs are going to be 2 1/4" square when put together, and 49" tall.

Just so you know, I checked everything on my table saw before I did this test in preperation for starting this project. Made sure the blade & miter slot were good with my dial indicator, same thing with the fence. I really think its because I didn't keep enough pressure against the fence, but this is my first time doing cuts like this.

45Leg005.jpg

Aaron, check the saw blade alignment with the dail indicator after it is set at a 45 degree if you haven't. Some saws will be right on at 90 and will be off at 45. You have to shim eather the frount or back of the trunion and table on contractors saw and between the cabinet and table on a cabinet saw. Just a thought.
Bob

'I THINK" it is because your angle is slightly off. It's really hard to get a perfect 45. Looking at the picture, since 3 sides mate up really well, that tells me that the last piece is not at the same angle(s). If they were all 45 it would have to mate up perfectly.

Now, if the outsides look good and your happy. Thats all that matters! No one is going to see the insides.

Aaron, check the saw blade alignment with the dail indicator after it is set at a 45 degree if you haven't. Some saws will be right on at 90 and will be off at 45. You have to shim eather the frount or back of the trunion and table on contractors saw and between the cabinet and table on a cabinet saw. Just a thought.
Bob

I did not do that, I only checked it at 90, so I may have do that.

'I THINK" it is because your angle is slightly off. It's really hard to get a perfect 45. Looking at the picture, since 3 sides mate up really well, that tells me that the last piece is not at the same angle(s). If they were all 45 it would have to mate up perfectly.

Now, if the outsides look good and your happy. Thats all that matters! No one is going to see the insides.

Since I didn't move the blade between cuts, I think it was me not holding it against the fence well enough, and it drifted away from the fence and in doing so took more off. Need to find a better technique, its the first time I had done an angle cut that large so I was a little nervous.

Good show Aaron! :thumb:
The DowelMax would do a great job with that. ;)

DT

Don, do you mean the dowel max could be used for alignment purposes instead of the splines? Might be easier to drill holes than to cut splines on the 45's.

Since I didn't move the blade between cuts, I think it was me not holding it against the fence well enough, and it drifted away from the fence and in doing so took more off.

Easy enough to find out. Run another test. Cheaper than scraping good wood.

I still think the angle is off. When I did this. I had to make several test to get mine to line up right. Either way, cut some more till your sure. I learned that one the hard way.

I've got to agree with Jeff, with one qualification... if all the angles are cut at say, 44.5 degrees, you'll still see the same result you've got there, three tight fits and one gap. The tight joints will be slightly less than 90 degrees, and you'll only notice the error on the last one.

...Since I didn't move the blade between cuts, I think it was me not holding it against the fence well enough, and it drifted away from the fence and in doing so took more off. Need to find a better technique, its the first time I had done an angle cut that large so I was a little nervous...
If this had been the case, then the piece that is off would have a consistent gap -- not just on the inside as yours does. I agree with Jeff and John...you're not quite at 45 degrees.

I use my old plastic drafting triangle from high school to set my saw blade at exactly 45 degrees. And I make sure I'm measuring on the body of the blade, not on the teeth. Dunno if you ever saw any of the quilt pattern cutting boards I did, but they had to be exact.

I'll agree also that the angle is probably slightly off, and I would also bet that Robert may have nailed the reason for the angle being off. That is a notorious problem inherent on most brands/models of contractor saws, and most people are not aware of that check, OR the proper steps to correct the problem.

They are quite obviously a smidgen off but they do have good surface contact to make a strong joint. Realizing that this type joint does not need strength to keep the parts from pulling apart it is a joint to make laminate pieces appear to be a solid piece. In most uses the size of the pieces would be wider and act as a column rather than a stick of wood, as you could duplicate the size easily through a solid piece of timber. The important issue is that the "smidgen off" be in the direction you have them so that the corners touch, had it been off the other way, then a gap would have appeared. If you can't get it "perfect" then this is the direction to go.

That's right Aaron it should work fine. Here is the link for "How To's"

http://www.dowelmax.com/versatile_angle_joints.htm

As a suggestion, drill your holes before you cut the angles.
While I have a DowelMax and have used it a fair bit, I can't get my head around drilling the holes prior to cutting the angles. I am of the opinion that the DM has to register on a flat surface which is not available until the 45* angle is cut. Would you kindly explain the set-up for drilling the holes first.

Nevertheless my preference would be a 45* lock mitre bit, or a plain 45* mitre bit on a router table. Fail safe, in my opinion. Of course that premise is based on you having a router on a router table and the appropriate bits.

That's right Aaron it should work fine. Here is the link for "How To's"

http://www.dowelmax.com/versatile_angle_joints.htm

While I have a DowelMax and have used it a fair bit, I can't get my head around drilling the holes prior to cutting the angles. I am of the opinion that the DM has to register on a flat surface, which is not available until the 45* angle is cut. Would you kindly explain the set-up for drilling the holes first.

Hi Mac,
I stand corrected. Giving more thought to the issue, (and playing with my DowelMax and a stick) :rofl: You are absolutely correct.
Sometimes I get these "Amazing" ideas that contribute to the reason I am having to build such a large size scrap cart. :huh: :rofl:
My Apologies to you Aaron, if I've been responsible for any extra work on your project.

DT

From a different point of view... consider the Plate Joiner and Biscuits to join the miters. Really easy task, construct a jig to accurately secure the joiner to the miter and cut a series of slots pop in a few biscuits and done.

Also You can flip the piece over, drop the blade back down and cut a slot along the heel of the 45. (make sure you have a blade the thickness of a biscuit) place in a few biscuits along the slot at what strength you think you need, then assemble w/glue, etc. clamp etc and that will be a square column you can't seperate.

Different slant on your project.

Hi Mac,
I stand corrected. Giving more thought to the issue, (and playing with my DowelMax and a stick) :rofl: You are absolutely correct.
Sometimes I get these "Amazing" ideas that contribute to the reason I am having to build such a large size scrap cart. :huh: :rofl:
My Apologies to you Aaron, if I've been responsible for any extra work on your project.

DT

No extra work, going to do some more trials this week.

Dado and splines. Quick and simple

post1.jpg

Jeff, thats what they are supposed to look like. Did you do yours all on the table saw?