Another Spalted Alder Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
More spalted alder...who'da guessed? This piece is a good example of the spalting I'm seeing throughout most of my recent haul from the neighbor lady's yard. This bowl is about 11 1/2" wide by 5" tall. It's the biggest one I've made so far. It's finished with my same ol' same ol' Formby's Tung Oil blend, but I still need to finish buffing it. My bigger buffing wheels (and bowl buffs) still haven't arrived, and my little 6" wheel can't reach the inside of the bowl.

I did something a little different with the rim...it's one of those "some will like it and some won't" kind of things.

Bowl 024 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 024 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 024 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 024 - 04 800.jpg

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

Pretty bowl Vaughn! I like that spalted wood! The rim......so-so for me but you're right.........Some will like it and so won't. It appears to my aging eyes you nailed the curve on the bowl. Nicely done Sir!

nice bowl again!!

well vaughn first i gotta give ya an atta boy on your new avatar sweet:thumb: and you need to slow down on your turning out hose nice bowls i am gettin sicker each time i see one,,your gonna get me totally ill from your very nice work.. that lathe might be cumin sooner than i thought:) great piece of wood you got there, really sharp and i like the rim its differnt and not the norm which makes it unique... i bet it will sell just fine.

Vaughn,

Spalted wood is one of my favorites!! And your most recent bowl is awesome... :) I can't wait until "we" get a lathe so I can start turning out some projects too!! I keep following what you and several other turners do and am so impressed with the beautiful creations that are made. Keep up the fantastic work... :thumb:

Thanks for sharing!!

Denise

Thanks for the nice comments, folks. Nice to see you drop in, Denise. :wave: Now get yourself a lathe and start helping Marty get that new shop dirty. :D

Vaughn,
I'm on the fence on the rim. appreciate the line, but I'd have to feel that edge to make a final judgment. other than that, love that wood. and you're making me wish my shop was up and complete already. A spinny thing is on my short list of new 'big' tools to buy. #3 in fact behind the Jointer and Bandsaw.

I think that I like the rim of the bowl. Did you have any problems with it wanting to tear out on the top edge?