Trying to make some saws...(did make a couple backs)

Wow Alan, you are really getting a nice outfit set up! I've always loved seeing seeing the saws made by Mike and others, so I am really looking forward to seeing yours! I wish Mr. Wenzloff would pop in here some so I wouldn't have to go to the other forums to see what he is doing!

Alan, that is very neat, making your own saws.

I too wish Mike would pop in more often.

I'd love to get a little milling machine like that, but they are VERY dear here in Japan.

Cheers!

There is a guy selling the same kind of units here in Japan, they start at about $1000 US, I'm tempted, but for several reasons, I've not pulled the trigger yet, one is that on occasion, the good old ones DO come up for sale here in Japan, on auction for a similar price, but these are real milling machines, about 3' square and nearly 6' tall, I'd not be able to get it into the Dungeon, but I have a plan "B" :D

Cheers!

you can get one in the states for about $479 at Harbor Frieight. There are about 5 companies that sell them, and all of them are made at the same plant in Shanghai.

I'd be very wary of these things. Friend of mine had one - don't know the specific model, etc - and was appalled to find that the gearing was all plastic :eek: Came with extra gears even, also plastic. Perhaps its logic along the lines of the old Land Rover cast iron axle shafts, but still, plastic gears? :huh:

So they're ok for occasional use, or as a stop gap until a better unit comes along, or if you plan to mill a lot of wax :D

The other thing this friend tells me is that old machine equipment has gotten fairly cheap in the last few years, as many small machine shops continue to close, the demand has shifted to the hobbyist market. He works for a vendor of used machinery, and says they've got so many Bridgeports un-sold that its hardly worth it to buy them anymore, considering what it costs to move them around.

well, never said it wouldn't work. And for the money they are hard to beat. My limited understanding is that they require a certain amount of babying though, so I wouldn't give them a ringing endorsement myself. If it works for you, great, but potential buyers should be aware that these machines are not as sturdy as reasonable expectation might lead them to believe.

I will admit to being pretty surprised that Mike's has held up to production use, even in a small operation like his. Being the cynic that I am, I'll say that speaks more to the free machining qualities of the brass he's using than the ultimate quality of the machine :D

For the time being this was within my budget and will allow me to build some handsaws. That's all good, IMO.

Yep, thats why there are machines and tools to fit every budget. It even inspired me to add a sig line - though I really thought of it a few years ago when someone tried to tell me that you could only resaw with a minimax :D

I was just about to come back and edit that last post -wrote it as the dinner bell was ringing, so it was kinda rushed and maybe a bit testy (never write on an empty stomach). But darn it, you already saw it! :rofl:

Looks like that will be a lot quicker to set up Alan, its much easier to get one piece parallel to the bed travel than three :thumb: For some reason a slotted back seems better than folded, probably just that it seems more modern or tidy or whatever. You got wood picked out for the handle?

It's looking good Alan! I started one about a year ago that I need to do some more work on. I just don't have all the cool tools you have! Keep us posted on the progress! I'm really interested!