Insulation Supports?

As many of you know, I have been building a new addition onto my home and right now I am in the process of installing insulation. What a pain. The interior and exterior walls are done so now its on to putting up the fiberglass batts in the ceiling. Now that is a pain.

I was explaining all this to my lumber dealer and he suggested I get some of those Insulation Supports from Simpson Strong Tie. I saw some the other day and knowing their product line, and knowing they have a good reputation for making innovative products, I did not hesitate to spend 20 bucks on these things.

WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS!

They did not work. They were not sharp on the ends as advertised. They did not support anything either, falling down several times until I finally heaved them across the room, trotted out to my computer and wrote a professional, but very honest letter to that company via email on just what I thought of their stupid products. Even now it floors me that with all their research and development that they would bring such a useless item to the market place. I mean i know it was only 10 cents a piece, but my good man, it ended up being more frustrating then it was doing the job without them.

Anyway, in the end I found out that pieces of lathe cut 28 inches long works just as good. I slip them on top of the trusses and that holds my insulation batts in place until I can come back, pull out one lathe at a time, and then staple the insulation up. I guess sometimes you just got to figure things out for yourself rather then having someone else make something for you.

(rant now officially over-thank you!!) :)

If those are the wire supports that come in a small cardboard box I know what you mean. I bought some 15 years or so ago and they were a piece of work back then too.

After kicking them around in the shop and jobsite trailer for years I finally threw the box away.

travis, why are you batting your attic? most insulation suppliers will blow an attic to a higher r value for less money than you can buy the batts for.

Tods RIGHT

i just got an quote on havun it dun and it was only 54 dollars more to have it blown in by them than me buying the batts and doing it myslef:dunno: wasnt to tough to figure what to do... and they are puttin in the baffels as well.

I'll put in 12 inches of batt insulation then blow in some loose insulation over the top of that to seal it up. Here in Maine you can't get too much insulation...I've seen 55 below and it was darn cold...even for this snowmobiler :)

Incidentally I have gotten 3 calls from Simpson Strong Tie in the last two days from sales sales rep. It will be interesting to see what he has to say when we get done playing phone tag and actually talk in real time.