Ash NE Bowl, Critique pls

Ben Werner

well heres my first "true" NE bowl... :D

5 1/2 w at top, base is 1 5/8, 3 in high at the highest... and about 1/4 in thick throughout... In the second to last photo if you look carefully you can see a smaaallll amount of curl... I think...

Critique pls

190-9065_IMG.jpg

190-9061_IMG.jpg

190-9060_IMG.jpg

190-9058_IMG.jpg

190-9057_IMG.jpg

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...ya just gotta love Ash :D

Seriously it looks great, someday I gotta try doing a NE, and maybe it will be out of Ash.

I like it Ben. It's a pretty piece of wood and you did a nice job on it. Very clean lines, IMHO. In looking at the second pic, I personally think it might look better with a bit more curve in the bottom, to better mirror the curve of the bark line. (Keep in mind that's a rookie's eye, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.) That said, it's still a great-looking bowl. How was the ash to turn? It seems it'd be pretty tough. What'd you use for the finish?

Nice piece of Ash Ben and you did it justice for sure! :thumb:

A couple of comments.....

bens_bowl1.jpg
These busted areas can be hidden, I'm sure you know this, DAMHIK :rolleyes:, the easiest way I've found that looks really good is to take a junk screwdriver, heat it up red hot, and then burn edge just a bit, you can make the burnt area look VERY much like the unburnt area, again DAMHIK.......... :doh: :D

The second thing is the shape of the bowl, don't take this the wrong way, as I'm a newbie at this, but to my eye, the line of the bowl would look better if it was a little smaller on the bottom.........

bens_bowl2.jpg

See the red dots? That is more the kind of line I find more pleasing to the eye.

Again, this is just my view, and this is really a nitpick, so don't put much weight behind it ;)

A very nice bowl, who gets it? :D

Cheers!

Thanks guys!

Poly finish, except i left the bark with nothing on it :D About that curve... origanily the foot was taller and bigger so the curved looked better, but once I stuck it on the jam chuck it sorta messed everything up and I had to make the foot that small, which ruined the curve, I know that just sounds like an excuse, but with a bigger foot the curved did look better.

Stu: great Idea about the bark, do you just like push it against the bark? or a point? or flat? or what?

keep the critique coming :D :D :wave: :clap: :headbang:

Yeah Ben, I just use an old crappy blade screwdriver, and use the corners, the flat the tip, whatever, to make a random pattern, it will not work so great on a large area, but the smaller chunks that come off, it works well.

I hear you about the tennon and jamb chucks, use a donut chuck and a spacer between the inside of the bowl and the back of the donut chuck, I find various sizes of PVC pipe work well, cut to about 2" to 4" long, and then a foam pad of some sort.

Here is the last NE I made, Mesquite and I lost some chunks, but used the burn method to hide my mistakes....:eek:

mesquite_ne_b1.jpg

Cheers!