OWWM news clip

Jeff, where were you having a problem. I was able to read the entire one-page article with no problem, along with the ads around the perimeter. Something that might help is to update your Firefox. I just had an automatic update yesterday, and then I installed the latest Java for Firefox.

I didn't try IE7, so I might still be missing part of the article?:huh:

OK Gents,

I am with you now.:thumb:

What I did discover while trying to get to the video is that I am missing some critical modules of both CD-ROM and video codex. How did this happen, glad you asked.;) A month or two ago, I installed Roxio Creator 9. It is one of these apps that think you are only going to run it on your computer and proceeds to make itself obnoxious at every opportunity. Well, since I really wasn't using it, I decided to remove it from my computer (XP Pro).

I should have known I was in trouble when it takes as long to remove it as it did to install it.:doh: It appeared to complete cleanly and was good with the world; well not quite.

Today when I tried to run the video you had pointed me to, Windows Media player said that I didn't have the proper codex installed. Hmmmm. I immediately thought of Creator 9 as the culprit. So, I tried to mount the install CD in hopes of finding the requested codex. Well, then I found out that the Plextor CD-RW cannot be found.

I then went through all the parts of the control panel and concluded that the CD-ROM driver was missing. The install hardware "guy" finds and identifies the device, so the hardware seems to be working. Next step was to remove the CD-ROM device from the system. Then, I ran the gizzard again to install the device. OK, I selected the device and requested the device software be installed. WRONG, it can't find the driver. (actually it said it had an error during the install. Boo, Hisss.)

This leaves me with an interesting problem. The drivers are on the XP CD, the CD drive doesn't work. Do I hear 'catch 22' in the distance?

I spent the afternoon playing with this ^*&%#$. Tomorrow I might try to compare the contents of my "disk copy" backup against the live files in hope of finding the driver. Plextor isn't any help. They say that the driver that comes with XP is all you need. Thanks!:(

I beat the dirty *(&%#&

After some investigation of LOML's XP home version and my Last "Drive Image" backup, I found the missing CD-ROM driver programs. That only took about 3 hours.:doh: I was still missing some CODEX modules from the removal of Creator 9, so I reinstalled Creator 8, and picked up enough MPx modules to let Windows Media Player operate. That took another 1/2 hour.

The final result was that I could finally look at video at WALB.

Oh well, I needed to fix the problem anyway, if not today, then some other time.:dunno: