Finial's

I got Cindy Drozda's DVD on making Elegant Finials. She does a excellent job of teaching on it. I got a lot out of her DVD. Instead of a skew she does most of her work with a 3/8" spindle gouge. I have one but it is a cheap Benjamins Best. I am going to get a couple of Doug Thompsons spindle gouges for this. Anyway here are a couple of them I made after watching the DVD a couple of times. Both are just a 5/8" at the widest and 1/8" at the tops. Finished with Antique Oil.

Attachments

• Finial 1.jpg
    Finial 1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Finial 4.jpg
    Finial 4.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 22
Very nice Bernie! I'll bet you could do that with a skew too!

I'm going to give it a try.

Would you buy the video again?

I like 'em, Bernie. The lighter one (maple?) is my favorite...I like the simple form. I need to learn some real spindle techniques for things like finials, and maybe Cindy's DVD would be a good education.

Very nice Bernie! :thumb:

I had the pleasure of watching Eli Avisera turn some foot long, pencil thin ones here at a demo, he did them with a skew and a spindle gouge, VERY cool!:D

Very nice Bernie! I'll bet you could do that with a skew too!

I'm going to give it a try.

Would you buy the video again?

Ken and Vaughn I would buy the DVD again in a heart beat. For doing this small work I got all kinds of tips on how to size them to what you are going to put them on to the finish. Yes Ken you can do them with a skew but I found her system works really well. She shows you how to sharpen and present the tool to the work with close ups.

Would you believe she and Bonnie Klien use clear shoe polish wax for their final coat! I tried it on a the one walnut finial. Let it dry and then buffed. Looks really good. She said shoes take a beating so why wouldn't it work for wood. It has caranuba and other waxes.

Thanks for the recommendation, Bernie. I'll look up Cindy's DVD after my wallet recovers a bit from the various new tools. ;)

I'm not too surprised about the shoe polish. My brother-in-law used brown Kiwi paste shoe polish to stain and finish this viking bed I made for him:

DSC_0677 800.jpg