Thread: They finally got here...Chisels!

They finally got here...Chisels!

I ordered a set of turning chisels and a sharpening jig from Penn State on 11/8. I finally got the order on 11/16...jig, but no chisels. The order shipping person had transposed a single number, and sent a drill centering vice instead. Their customer service line was either busy or they put it on "ignore", and after 3 tries and and hour or so, I gave up. I called the next day, Sat, and the lady said she would send out the correct chisels Monday, express mail. I finally got an e.mail confirming "shipment" on Monday. The box left so late on Monday, it wasn't delivered until today..priority. The USPS just left the box on the door!

Anyway, here they are.

PSI "Benjamin's Best" e.mail special.

PSI 4 pc Precision Sharpening System

My Jet mini lathe I got at Western Tool Supply locally.

Thanks go to Scott Donely, who has helped me a lot in getting started turning.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Super

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Soooo where are the curls ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Now I have to get some hardwood. Hmmmm where to get some cheap?

I fooled around a bit with a bit of cedar, like in the mini pic, but it's obviously too soft and "stringy"... But I did get a bunch of "chips" on the table!

Wow Greg, I missed this yesterday. Welcome into the Abyss. Be sure to take a picture of all the money in your wallet, because that's the only way you'll remember what it looks like.

I think you'll be really happy with the Penn State sharpening jig...I know I like mine. I've got the Benjamin's Best "Bowl Turning" chisel set, and have been real happy with them, too. Definitely a step up from my Harbor Freight starter set (although I still get a lot of use from the HF chisels, too, and recommend them to new turners).

Congrats. Now, we need to see pics of a bonker. That's in the rules somewhere I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Now I have to get some hardwood. Hmmmm where to get some cheap?

I fooled around a bit with a bit of cedar, like in the mini pic, but it's obviously too soft and "stringy"... But I did get a bunch of "chips" on the table!
    Cheap wood...?

Simple, get a chainsaw, gas can, mixing thing for oil and gas, gas, oil, chain sharpening jig(s), files, wedges, spare chains, spare bar, safety chaps, safety mitts............ did I forget anything....?

Yep, get all that stuff and you will find lots of FREE wood

Good luck Greg, it is a slippery slope, but boy is it a fun ride!!
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 11-23-2006 at 12:18 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Good for you Greg, too bad you weren't closer I've got a area of land I've been wanting to put in a farm pond and it needs some serious wood thinning.

Vaughn is right about the money thing, I had to go back to flatwork to make some income to offset my lathe expenditures....kidding.

I'm anxious to see what you'll be making.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

I know Seattle is mostly pine trees so....You might want to take a look at your neighbor's houses. Some could be made out of hardwood. Then do what Stu says and grab a chainsaw and some gas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    I know Seattle is mostly pine trees so....You might want to take a look at your neighbor's houses. Some could be made out of hardwood. Then do what Stu says and grab a chainsaw and some gas!!!
    Don't forget the muffler, got to have that muffler or people wake up angry
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Just sneak next door with a sawsall and wait until the turkey hits and they nap. Cut a medium size section of the hardwood siding from behind a bush and use them nice tools to turn some cool stuff. Have a great holiday and be safe.