MDF Shop Bench Finish Question

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I just finished construction of support and outfeed tables around my tablesaw. I've applied the first of two coats of sealer and will sand before and after applying the second coat. I was planning to use paste wax to complete the finish process and also to provide a layer to protect from glue sticking. Would another type of wax be better; i.e., easier to apply and/or a more protective surface?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I think if you do a search you will find the highly detailed and almost mystical secret answer to this question will be answered repeatedly . . . Johnson's Paste Wax. :thumb:

I think if you do a search you will find the highly detailed and almost mystical secret answer to this question will be answered repeatedly . . . Johnson's Paste Wax. :thumb:
Well, certainly nothing "mysterical" about your response!:thumb: That's what I normally use for this application. I was just looking for a lazy guy's way to get the job done! :dunno:

The only thing I would add is consider applying a coat or two of poly. It's much more abrasion resistant than any sealer. I too would go with JPW but, I can't seem to find it anywhere in my area.

I would go with Johnson's Paste Wax as well. :thumb:

If you use something else, make sure that it does not contain silicone. This is commonly found in automotive waxes/polishes. Silicone will absorb in to your work pieces and will causes problems when you go to finish them.

Thanks for your input, guys. When I asked the question, I was pretty sure I'd wind up using JPW but wanted to find out if there are any good alternatives. I've used a ton of JPW over the years and my arms talk to me about it for days afterward! :doh: