Roofing Question

Which Roof should Ned install?

• Metal roof

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Three tab

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Roof,? He don' neeeed no steenking Roof!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Metal bids will vary widely - and that is one of the drawbacks too.

By way of example, our first bid - materials only - was a little over $32k. This was for a metal "shingle" product that looks like those old asphalt diamond shaped shingles, plus a half conical standing seam section.

The product we actually used cost around $5k and was the top of the line product for the company that makes it - we could have gotten out of this for around 3k if we didn't mind lots of little screw holes.

It does sound like whatever you use will work fine Ned. I find I like moving metal panels around a lot more than packages of shingles, but if you go to a wholesale supplier, they'll probably deliver with one of those conveyor belt trucks, and that would make the job too easy :D

Ned, I installed a metal roof on my timber frame shed (12x20), I did not use any sheathing or paper, just laid it on 2x4 purlins spaced 2 feet O.C. I think it was much easier than lugging up a bunch of plywood sheets, felt paper etc. The roof is a 12/12 pitch. It took about 2 days. The materials cost was about $750, that included the ridge cap, rake trim and screws.

What I saw yesterday was just the basic pressed panel, not quite corrugated, but similar. Basically it had a couple of wider 'valley' sections. I hadn't thought about edging, and matching up the house to the shop. That might be the straw that broke the tin roof's back right there. While Lori and I aren't moving any time soon, we do still want to move in a couple of years, so I may just let her pick the shingles out and go from there. I'll 'go to school' on the shop roof, and then do the house when the war chest is filled again.

No decision made yet though, so Chime in if you have any ideas.

And of course, Thank you to all who have helped!

So, what you are looking at is "Pole Barn tin". There isn't anything wrong with it, but three tab will compliment your house better, and your neighbors might appreciate the appearance more than tin.

Go with three tab.

Joe

Joe

When I had my pole barn built, we went with metal. 9/12 pitch. It is screwed to 2 x 4 horizontal purlins. No plywood, no tar paper. And no sweat. Ned, I live about an hour from you -same climate.

Now, in the summer, the attic area gets very hot, but the shop below is insulated between the ceiling and the floor of the attic. As far as noise goes, I like the sound of rain on it. If you insulate your ceiling, then you have a great drying kiln for lumber storage.

I didn't care if the shop buiding roof identically matched the house, as long as it didn't clash.

About the only negative thing I'd say is that I wouldn't want to walk up on that metal roof. But then again, I shouldn't need to. Lots of good suggestions here, I'm sure you'll make a good decision.

Ken

Ned, I installed a metal roof on my timber frame shed (12x20), I did not use any sheathing or paper, just laid it on 2x4 purlins spaced 2 feet O.C. I think it was much easier than lugging up a bunch of plywood sheets, felt paper etc. The roof is a 12/12 pitch. It took about 2 days. The materials cost was about $750, that included the ridge cap, rake trim and screws.

Ned I would go with metal roofing. I know the kind you are describing because that is what I have on my shop. Straight up, I did just what Austin Grote did on his shop, and I did it to save on costs as I am the cheapest guy out there. No plywood sheathing or tar paper, just rafters, strapping (1 x 3's) and the metal.

It took no time to put up, very few tools, and is will last a very long time. Take a drive around the countryside and you will see what I mean. Most of the older buildings that are still standing, but no longer used, have metal roofs. They just shed water so, so much better.

As for the condensation problem, yeah that will occur. My shop dripped some in the fall and spring...you know, when the temp swings are the greatest. It is now a non-issue though since I insulated. As for the noise of the rain on the roof, there is nothing sweeter in my opinion, but then I am a bit different.

Only you can decide what you want to put on your shop, but if it was me to do over again, I would still use metal roofing.

Feed_Rolls2-452x334.jpg

Here are some pics (I hope) of the roof on my shed. I bought the materials from Everlast.;) :)

Attachments

• Purlins.jpg
    Purlins.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 15
  • metalroof (600 x 450).jpg
    metalroof (600 x 450).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 50 Near Side (600 x 450).jpg
    50 Near Side (600 x 450).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 14
hiya pal

just my 2 cents ...... metal has its good points, my inlaws have had it on thier house for 8 or 10 years now . just be mindfull of where you put the doors. when the snow comes off the roof, it all comes off at once in a big sheet. its not nice to come home to a 2 ton present in front of the door :doh: i would also suggest that you consider the same material, whatever you choose , for both the house and the shop . better continuity for resale if both roofs are the same material . with the 3-12 pitch on the house roof , the metal roofing will help with snowload alot because it will slide off as soon as the sun comes out for a couple hours or so :D

hiya pal

just my 2 cents ...... metal has its good points, my inlaws have had it on thier house for 8 or 10 years now . just be mindfull of where you put the doors. when the snow comes off the roof, it all comes off at once in a big sheet. its not nice to come home to a 2 ton present in front of the door :doh: i would also suggest that you consider the same material, whatever you choose , for both the house and the shop . better continuity for resale if both roofs are the same material . with the 3-12 pitch on the house roof , the metal roofing will help with snowload alot because it will slide off as soon as the sun comes out for a couple hours or so :D

They have simple metal tabs that you can buy/ fabricate that attach to the steel roof over the doorways. All those tiny tabs do is latch onto the snow and keep it from sliding off above the doors. Instead it slowly melts away.