Sheesh...Another Spalted Alder Bowl?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Will this guy ever run out of the spalted alder? :rolleyes: This one is 12" wide by 2 1/2" tall.

Once again I was having trouble getting an even sheen with the tung oil blend (some spots just kept drinking finish, and not glossing up), so after about 4 or 5 coats of that, I wet sanded it with 600 grit and hit it with a few light coats of spray lacquer to even out the look. It ended up with a nice, even matte finish inside and out. Then I buffed out just the rim (a "grand piano" finish again) to add some contrast. I like the effect. It's a very visual and tactile difference.

Bowl 027 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 027 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 027 - 03 800.jpg

Lemme know what you think... :wave:

Very nice Vaughn, you must really be getting a collection built up in the house, are there any flat surfaces without a bowl or such sitting on it? :D

Cheers!:wave:

The bowls a beauty Vaughn. The wood looks like an alder version of ambrosia maple, very pretty stuff. And I like the finish you got on them. I've had the same problem getting an even finish with tung oil but had never tried putting lacquer over it. I'll have to give that a try.