wolverine setup

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

My wolverine jig finally arrived! Hurrah! Now if I can just figure out how to set it up!

I know a bunch of people have one. Has anyone posted close up pictures of the details of setup?

I hate staring dumbly at written instructions. Remember that old joke: "A five year old child could understand these instructions! Fetch me a five year old child!" ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I'm really disappointed in an English prof. who can't follow written directions, :D however I do understand that the Wolverene is from Canada and their brand of English is different from ours, eh.:rofl:

Dear Cecil,

Must be because I got my Doctorate inside the loop... ;)

Here's how I ended up there: "Barthelme's legacy as an educator lives on at the University of Houston, where he was one of the founders of the prestigious Creative Writing Program. At the University of Houston, Barthelme became known as a sensitive, creative, and encouraging mentor to young creative-writing students while he continued his own writings." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Barthelme)

Didn't do me much good for woodworking, though... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

Surprising no one more than myself, both my degrees (the surprise is my having any degree at all) are from UH.:thumb: The last one being in Humanities, which required doing something creative.:rofl: In my case it was a 200 page work of fiction.:type: Unfortunately I was at the Clear Lake campus and missed all the "name" people in the creative program inside the loop.:eek:

If you can write an instruction you should be able to follow one. :huh: On the other hand, I'll try to get a picture posted sometime tomorrow of my wolverine set up.

I write instructions for a living (no degree...heck, I couldn't diagram a sentence to save my life), but I hate to read instructions. Especially poor ones.

My PSI grinding jig is a knockoff of the Wolverine, but it's different enough that pics would likely do you no good. That said, I just looked at the Wolverine manual and it looks pretty straightforward.

1. Take the rubber feet off the bottom of your grinder

2. Find a a piece of plywood that's a couple inches or so wider than your grinder, then mount the grinder to it. Make the front edge of the piece of plywood even with the face of the grinding wheels. (Check to be sure the top of the plywood is 6 1/4" to 6 1/2" from the center of the grinder wheels. If not, add spacers to make it so.)

3. Mount the Wolverine base pieces directly in line with the grinding wheels, with the front of the base pieces even with the edge of the plywood (and the face of the wheels). You may have to remove the grinder to mount the bases.

4. Re-mount the grinder (if you took it off in the previous step).

5. Watch the instructional videos on the Oneway site to see how to set up and use the jig.

6. Go sharpen your chisels.

7. Mount a piece of green wood on your lathe and have fun. :D

8. Just try to wipe that silly grin off your face. :p

OK, so after reading the truly icky instructions (who writes these things, anyway? They left out whole steps!) then reading Vaughn's far superior instructions (no wonder they pay him such a high salary!) and watching the video, I think I've made some progress. In my first attempt, I'd left the rubber baby buggy bumpers on. They're now off, and the grinder is mounted to a small piece of 3/4 ply. That's mounted onto a bigger piece of 3/4 ply. Thus:

wolverine 009 (Medium).jpg

wolverine 010 (Medium).jpg

The lights on the grinder have always been awful... often only going on when metal touches the spinning wheels... hence the lamp:

wolverine 011 (Medium).jpg

So, results? I used it to sharpen a few test tools. The difference is beyond imagining! No wonder I was spending so much time sanding! Geez... when I think of all the time I wasted! :(

So now, I've actually made my first planing cut with the big skew! I now longer shake my head in puzzlement when I think of how much other people love skews (ALL HAIL the mighty!!). But the proof, as always, is in the shavings, so here's a pic:

wolverine 012 (Medium).jpg

Now if I can just remember to hold the camera right side up (or right click to rotate image clockwise... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Yep Bill you got it. I would get some white wheels because they run cooler when grinding. I got the Norton wheels and they are a little pricey at $65 each from CSUSA. I have the Norton 32A white wheel in 60 and 100 grit. They are the coolest running wheels and work the best of any wheel I have ever used. They sharpen better than any wheel I have used.