Box Elder burl bowl with turquoise

Curt Fuller

This is a small bowl from a piece of a box elder burl that had some chainsaw cuts edges and a gash in one side from a chainsaw. Most of it still has the natural burl edge. I tried adding a little crushed turquoise along the edges. Somehow I thought the turquoise would be a good idea but something in the way I did it didn't work out like I wanted. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• boxelder-turquoise bowl 1.JPG
    boxelder-turquoise bowl 1.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 18
  • boxelder-turquoise bowl 2.JPG
    boxelder-turquoise bowl 2.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 16
  • boxelder-turquoise bowl 3.JPG
    boxelder-turquoise bowl 3.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 19
  • boxelder-turquoise bowl 4.JPG
    boxelder-turquoise bowl 4.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 10
Curt, I think the form, and the wood are really nice, the turquoise just kinds of jumps out of the pics, I would say it is not that intense in real life?

I'm not partial to that turquoise thing, but my wife thinks it looks neat, so what the heck do I know :rolleyes: :D

You got to push the parameters sometimes just to figure out where you can :thumb:

Cheers!

Thanks Stu. I've seen turned pieces that are enhanced with turquoise that really look good. But there's more to it than just sticking some on here and there. I'm not sure what makes it look good but I'll probably try a few more shots at it.

Greal bowl and wood, and I'm kind of on the fence about the turquoise. (I grew up in American Indian jewelry country, so I've sort of had my fill of it.) While it doesn't really grab me, I know there will be some people who would simply HAVE to own that bowl because of it. I'd say keep playing with the turquoise idea. :thumb: