Edge sander

Paul B Cresti

Just curious....how many of you guys & gals out there own and use an edge sander? I have been thinking of getting one but wonder on how much use it will get. I know that I use my combo belt/disc sander an awful lot during assembly and have had the need numerous times for a larger sander....ideas? thoughts??? how fast can an african swallow fly???(maybe somebody can finally answer that question correctly)

Just curious....how many of you guys & gals out there own and use an edge sander? I have been thinking of getting one but wonder on how much use it will get. I know that I use my combo belt/disc sander an awful lot during assembly and have had the need numerous times for a larger sander....ideas? thoughts??? how fast can an african swallow fly???(maybe somebody can finally answer that question correctly)

Faster than me.

Paul, I can't answer the swallow question, but I can make an attempt at the edge sander one. An ole boy (Charlie) that was the local builder where I grew up and hired me from time to time retired about 15 years ago from the house building business and set up shop to get serious about woodworking, he bought everything he thought he'd need and one of the items was a edge sander. I've been in Charlies shop a lot in those fifteen years and I've yet to see him use that edge sander for very much. Just my observation.

Paul,
The answer to the question is one at a time. As for the edge sander, I have one, use it rarely, but when it is needed it performs flawlessly and I will not be givin it up anytime soon. I have the Jet one that oscillates. Hope that helps and have a great and safe holiday.

Paul, I have an edge sander and use it all the time. I do raised panel doors and use it mostly to true up the ends of the doors after assembly. I also use it for other things as well. Sure glad I got it.

Paul,
I don't have one, but wish I did. I think it would be a super tool to fix my goof ups. Sanding drawers and doors to size .

Brian

I have the Jet 6x89 sander.

I use it a LOT

Like Jim, it's great for doing door edges.

Probably about the most used tool I have besides the table saw.

I wouldn't want to have to do without it in my shop

What Steve said - great for fairing curves and touch up on edges - just make sure it doesn't bite you - 'cos it will if you give it a chance - DAMHIKT

Uummm. YES :eek:
It's a great fingernail grinder:( :eek: :D

Thanks guys....I have looked at the whole slew of them from the Italian made ones :D to the Ti/chi ones. I would love to have the one made by LASM/Volpato as it is a true sanding center:veneers, edges, spindle, tilting tables, etc.... but at around 9500 I think that is a wee bit out of my range for now. Sometimes you need to buy what will get the job done and save the rest of those dollars for profit :thumb: I may opt for a Sunhill edge sander as that what fits my budget for now plus I can get a really good deal on it as it is the last one left of the older models....we will see

Paul,
I do not have one but I know if I did I would use it all the time. Great for removing burn marks off face frames, squaring up face frames, sizing doors, drawers, etc. Taking a bit off of a cabinet part without going to the saw, shaping segmented arches and curves. All good reasons to have one. In fact it will be my next purchase. I am going to buy used vs new and cheap.

Greg

paul, here`s my pat answer for most things........cast iron and horsepower...i think your money would be well spent on a 2500# dinosaur instead of newer tai/chi stuff.....02 tod

Tod,
I have started to look at this machine as one of those ancillary machines that helps you get things done a bit quicker. I have had a Jet combo belt/disc sander for about 8 years now and it has worked great. I know it is not the best out there, just like my drill press, but it does its limited job when I ask it to. I will save my money for the bigger more important machines when it comes to things like a widebelt though

I don't have one, but Mark Adams said that it was one of the first tools he got when he started up his cabinet shop. He has one in his woodworking school. We used it to true up veneer for a marquetery project.

I think that it would be a productivity booster if you did a lot of cabinets, otherwise a nice tool, but not necessary.

West African Swallow or South African Swallow?

I almost bought the Powermatic Model 80 oscillating edge sander several months ago but decided that I didn’t have the room for it in my already crowded shop. I’d love to have one though.