Getting excited....

Paul B Cresti

...my six year old son has started to show an interest in woodworking. He says he wants to be an Architect and build things like Daddy....He is getting his first set of tools & toolbox from Santa this year.....I tried to convince my wife that he really needs a Widebelt sander but that did not fly so well :huh:

...my six year old son has started to show an interest in woodworking. He says he wants to be an Architect and build things like Daddy....He is getting his first set of tools & toolbox from Santa this year.....I tried to convince my wife that he really needs a Widebelt sander but that did not fly so well :huh:

Thanks for the idea.............. I'll have to get my daughters interested in some scroll saw work and some curvy Band saw projects!! :thumb:

Thanks Paul!! :D

Paul, I still have and use some of the Craftsman handtools that my dad got me when I was about 6 or 7 years old. Buy your son good ones, and he'll remember this Christmas forever. (But I'm sure you already knew that.) ;) Very cool that he's showing interest...he's got a good coach handy, too.

Paul,
Enjoy the time with him while you can. My son is 20 and in Iraq with the marine corps and hope we can turn a wrench or two together soon. Get your son the best tools you can afford and he will take them with him throughout his life. I still have the Craftsman orbital jigsaw that Santa brought me 32 years ago.

Paul,
I am jealous of the good times you and your son are going to have in the shop. None of my three daughters have shown any interest in woodworking. O well, maybe my Grandson will have an interest. If he does, he will inherit one heck of a shop.

Brian

PS Joe, tell your Son THANK YOU.

I'm torn by this... on the one hand I'd love my kids to join this hobby. Even if they don't keep it up, I think the "I can build it" and "I can figure it out" skills will pay dividends in the future.

But on the other hand, it can also feel like my "me" time is used up by the kids coming to join me in the shop. And I like to be alone in there sometimes. Yet another parental sacrifice...

I'm torn by this... on the one hand I'd love my kids to join this hobby. Even if they don't keep it up, I think the "I can build it" and "I can figure it out" skills will pay dividends in the future.

But on the other hand, it can also feel like my "me" time is used up by the kids coming to join me in the shop. And I like to be alone in there sometimes. Yet another parental sacrifice...

Art, I hear you on the "me" time, we run our own business, so we are togther all day everyday, and sometimes I need some "ME" time for sure, but let me tell you, faster than you can say "holy cow!" they will be up and gone from you daily life. My eldest is 12 and she is getting to the point where she sometimes don't want to spend a Sunday with old Ma & Pa :D

Spend some of your "me" time now, a when them kids are gone, you will have more than you care for.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers!

congratulations paul! it`s cool that your son has shown an interest, now it`s up to you to provide the type of projects he can build successfully so that he stays interested.........never underestimate the ability of kids.....even if they`re physically unable to do some stuff like drive the tablesaw their imagination shouldn`t be put in check because of this small obstacle.....just cut the boards for him `till he`s big enough to do it himself.....besides it`s fun!......tod