Deep disappointment: Sawstop contractor saw out of reach...

Time is on your side

Bill

Well, I've been hoping it would be around $1,000 but I've been saving my money and the endless delays have given me a bit more time. If you don't need it right NOW then eventually the budget will kick in. I have seen the cabinet version demonstration and it is truely awesome. My little dewalt benchtop scares me, and even with push sticks, grippers etc. I think that the safety features of the sawstop are worth the price. So be safe, save your pennies and look to the day when the budget is full.

I know that it seems silly, especially in this day of plastic money, but every night I empty my pocket change into a jar. The last time I rolled the coin, there was $600 in there painlesss saving!

Jay

Jay,

Great savings technique! Sadly, I've already tried it. With four teenagers in the house, all the silver soon disappears out of the change bowl... but at least I have many pounds of pennies... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Is $1500 the total cost delivered with fence?

I think it's too bad they designed this with a 60 year old contractor saw format as opposed to a hybrid with an internal motor. There's so little advantage to have an outboard motor, and so many disadantages.... :huh:

Last edited:
Jay,

Great savings technique! Sadly, I've already tried it. With four teenagers in the house, all the silver soon disappears out of the change bowl... but at least I have many pounds of pennies... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I live alone and hide my change jar from myself. It does add up I can stay out of it.

Not only does it cost money to buy, but it also costs something like 60 bucks to replace the aluminum chunk that gets tossed into the blade to stop the blade. It would never work for me as I work with air dryed and wet wood a lot. It would constantly be kicking.

Its a good idea but I worked for the railroad for 10 years as a Safety Coordinator. Its just like I use to tell the guys out there, as long as you stay 4 feet away from the outside rail, there is no way you will get hit. There is only one path that train can take as it cannot steer. Its the same with a tablesaw. That blade tracks in only one axis, keep your fingers out of the way and you will always have 10 fingers.

It would never work for me as I work with air dryed and wet wood a lot. It would constantly be kicking.

Just as a friendly reminder Travis, you can turn the brake sensor off for those applications. And, as another reminder, the saw is a top-notch saw by itself with the brake feature as a bonus. Probably one of, if not THE, best contractor saws available.

Last edited:
I know that it seems silly, especially in this day of plastic money, but every night I empty my pocket change into a jar. The last time I rolled the coin, there was $600 in there painlesss saving!
Jay

That must be one BIG jar. I just drag mine down to the nearest Coin-Star machine but only get around $120-$140 depending on the coin mix. I can't imagine the weight of a jar with $600.

That must be one BIG jar. I just drag mine down to the nearest Coin-Star machine but only get around $120-$140 depending on the coin mix. I can't imagine the weight of a jar with $600.

I'll say. Even up here in the land of the Loonie and Toonie, I think it'd take a while to hit $600.
canadianmoney.gif

But then, these days we spend cash less and less (more plastic and debit use) so we don't get coins that much.

Doug, Doug, Doug

I can't remember the "discount" from those coin counting machines, but you gave away big bucks for the convenience of having them do it for you!

OK, I'll fess up, I have several jars in a drawer so I sort as I dump, then I just have to roll the coin from time to time. Just plop myself down and watch David Marks reruns.

Regarding the saw..... I know I'll do better work with something other than my benchtop and yes, the cost of the SS will be greater than all of the alternatives, but if I consider the incremental cost of a trip to the emergency room then I think that the difference it is good insurance. I work carefully, but accidents do happen and if I can reduce the risk then it seems like a good alternative.

Bill,
The relative merits/demerits of the SS have been well and truly discussed many times over, so I won't rehash them here, but when it comes to their one feature no one else has, all of that R&D has to be paid back somehow.

I for one would like a SS cabinet saw. Someday I'll be able to afford one, and when I can the difference between a Uni or a PM and the SS won't be a factor.
Until then I've got loads of other tools I need first, since I have a trusty 3612 which does just fine in my book.

If the SS contractor is what you want/need in your shop, set a budget and start socking away a few bucks to a savings account somewhere, then don't touch it until you have the money. Probably sometime between now and when you can afford the $1500 the price will come down and you'll get it sooner. Pick a regular amount, $20 a month or some such and it will happen before you know it.